Hey blog world! It's Friday - yipeee!!
This year, I've decided to start a new thing on Keeping Up with the Joneses. I'm calling it Wine Friday.
You see, I like wine. I'm no connoisseur or expert, I just enjoy it, and I'm starting to learn more as I try new things. So, each Friday I'm going to feature a wine I've tried recently that I thought was good, and share a few facts. I'm hoping I'll get some ideas from those of you readers that like vino, too!
In case you are interested, here's a little bit about my wine preferences so you'll know what to expect here:
-I love reds. Whites are good, but I'll reach for a red nine times out of ten. In the summer months though, I will have more whites.
-I prefer full-bodied, hearty, heavier wines like Merlot, Malbec, etc. For whites, I like Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blancs, but I do not discriminate and will try anything once.
-My price-range is $10-$15 a bottle at this stage in my life. And, I think there are some excellent ones in that category.
-Yes, sometimes I pick a bottle because the label is cute.
-I'm not at the level of being able to say - "I'm tasting some _______,____ and ____ in this" - I typically just like it, or don't.
-Keith is just now starting to warm up to the idea of having a glass with me :)
So, this week I'm sharing a Malbec I recently tried that I really enjoyed. Here are the facts:
Layer Cake - Malbec
Year: 2009
Origin: Mendoza, Argentina
Average price: $12.94, although the wine shop I purchased it from had it marked closer to $14.50
Wine Notes from the Vineyard: Layered and complex...Sweet anise, hints of tobacco, black chocolate, more cherries and exotic spices, layers of jam. This wine will stand and perform anytime you think of a Cabernet and want something just a little more exotic.
"My old grandfather made and enjoyed wine for 80 years. He told me the soil in which the vines lived were a layer cake. He said, the wine, if properly made,was like a great layer cake, fruit, mocha, chocolate, and hints of spice — and rich, always rich.
'Never pass up a good Layer Cake,' he would say.
'I have always loved those words.'
'Never pass up a good Layer Cake,' he would say.
'I have always loved those words.'











10 responses. Leave a Comment!:
AHH! One of my favs! Had it this week! Good choice Kendo. You know what would make wine better...if we could drink it together more often! Thank god for weddings and babies!
I'm the same way with wine. I don't pay more than $15 ( includes the big bottles! ) and don't have a clue about all of those big words. I just know what I like and what I don't!
I love this!!! You rock :)
~Nicole in NY
I love this new series!! How fun! I'm a wine lover, but also choose a wine by the label too :)
I'm more of a red, but I do like Riesling, have you tried it? It's a sweeter white.
Have a great weekend!
A fun new addition to your interesting blog. I love wine, so am very interested in this new Friday feature. Thanks for always keeping it fun!
yumm! this sounds good! I am thinking about going to get some to enjoy tonight! I am excited about you starting Wine Friday! I think our tastes in wine!
Great idea, I also recommend a wine journal. Layer cake is great I've had it serveral times. Do you have an aerator. If not I hightly recommend the Vinturi Wine Aerator Tower Gift Set got it for xmas and love it make a huge difference on all wines
My hubby and I are attempting to become winos! I love this. Reds are my favorite as well, and a good red blend. Mmmm. Wine is fun.
Oh this will be so fun! I can't wait to hear all about the new wines you're trying. I'm always looking for new bottles to try. We make a few trips to Napa each year--we loooove to go tasting. :)
I clicked onto your blog from Bekah Hopper's. I'm thrilled about your Friday Wine because I'm a wine fan but always looking for something new to try.
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)