You guys....... this pie!
Mom and I made it together this weekend, and it was a huge hit. She's been making it for over 10 years. It's a Southern Living classic!
It's so good. SO good.
Coconut Cream Pie
Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flaked coconut
1 baked pie crust
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup sifted powder sugar
Garnish: toasted flaked coconut
Start with a pie crust, and bake it in the oven. We used two: one for the base, and part of a second one for the pretty crust.
Combine first three ingredients in a heavy saucepan;
gradually stir in milk.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Cook 1 minute.
Beat egg yolks; gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks;
add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until temperature reaches 160, or a nice thick consistency.
Remove from heat; stir in butter, vanilla...
...and 1 cup flaked coconut.
Mix well.
Pour into pastry shell. Cool completely.
Cover and chill 1-2 hours.
Toast the bigger coconut flakes, if you like. The edges of mine are burnt, but the center pieces were perfect!
Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixture until foamy...
...gradually add powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form.
Spread into cooled pie crust. Top with the toasted coconut.
Also, I'm linking up to Tasty Tuesdays on 33 Shades of Green!
PS - No Menu Monday today since I'm taking a work trip and will be gone for most of the week! On weeks like that, no point in grocery store shopping :) I'm already looking forward to being back this weekend and cooking some more!























8 responses. Leave a Comment!:
Ahhh, my grandmother makes this on a regular basis and I LOVE it every time. SUCH a delicious pie! Thanks for putting the recipe on here, I'll have to try to make it myself soon! Hope your work trip goes well :)
You are singing my tune. I don't love anything more than coconut cream pie. The one I've made is more of a coconut custard and requires more eggs than anyone should ever eat in their lifetime, so I may have to give this recipe a go as it only needs three.
I love all things coconut! I'll definitely give this a try!
I make my Mom a coconut cream pie every year for her birthday - I think I'll try your recipe this year!
This looks so so so good! Sweet that you made it with your mom too :)
Oh, wow. We need to be friends. Not just you and me, but you me and this pie. I love coconut cream pie and for some reason have never made one myself - what's wrong with me??
I love that you made this with your mom - I wish I could get my mom to cook with me but she's far too happy to let me do the work! ;-)
Visiting from Tasty Tuesdays! :-)
Wow, what a pie! Love that mound of cream just sitting on top of it. I have a linky party on my blog every Saturday called Sweets for a Saturday and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.
I made this tonight, and it was a hit!! I even posted a link on my blog to yours! Thanks for sharing, Kendall!
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)