Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Watermelon Cucumber Salad

One of my favorite things about summertime is......Watermelon.

IMG_1773

This is one of the best ways to use up watermelon, if you've got lots. It's also a great excuse to get some watermelon, if you don't have any! I was skeptical of this recipe at first because of the odd mix of ingredients, but it is just wonderful. I made it recently for a family gathering and everybody loved it- so it's a crowd pleaser! Recipe is from Food Network Magazine's Cookbook, Great Easy Meals.

Watermelon Cucumber Salad

Ingredients:
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
4 cups diced watermelon (helps to have seedless)
1 seeded and sliced cucumber
Handful of thinly sliced mint
Handful of chopped cashews
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt, for taste
1 6-8 oz package of goat cheese crumbles, use as much or little as you like

Soak 1/2 thinly sliced red onion in cold water. Pat dry 4 cups diced watermelon and 1 seeded and sliced cucumber; toss with a handful of thinly sliced mint. Drain the onion, squeeze dry and add to the salad along with some chopped cashews. Add 1/4 cup olive oil and the juice of 1/2 lemon; season with salt and toss. Top with crumbled goat cheese.

This makes a big batch that would give a big spoonful to about 10 people, and a big portion for 4 people. I made some another night for just Keith and I and eyeballed all of the ingredients to build 2 small salads. It was so easy!

Enjoy!!

5 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Melissa @ A Dozen Years Later said...

It seems odd...but I like all of the ingredients individually... so I will definitely give it a shot. How do you think it would taste with feta instead of the goat cheese?

Tiff said...

This looks yummy and sounds odd! But can't wait to try it!

Colleen Sullivan said...

This sounds great! A friend of mine gave me a similar recipe a few years ago, but it used feta. I think the goat cheese would for sure taste much better with it though!

...Oh how I miss soft cheeses...

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious!

Kristin said...

That salad looks amazing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)