Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Summer Squash, Bacon and Mozzarella Quiche

Last night, I made a quiche for dinner. It was summery and wonderful. Plus, I haven't met a quiche I didn't like! This is a Cooking Light recipe that I altered and would alter some more the next time I make. It called for more milk and less eggs than I prefer, so I've adjusted below. Also, y'all know I'm using a Pillsbury crust and not making from scratch. I just can't be bothered!

IMG_1692

How do you like my little vegetable people on my kitchen towel? I thought they were cute and needed to be in the picture. They don't get out of the drawer much.

Summer Squash, Bacon and Mozzarella Quiche

Ingredients:
1 refrigerated pie crust, such as Pillsbury
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices yellow squash
2 cups (1/8-inch-thick) slices zucchini
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (use fresh if you can!!)
3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 large egg whites
4 large eggs
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese


Preheat oven temperature to 350°.

Gently unroll crust and arrange in pie plate that has been sprayed with cooking spray.

To prepare the filling, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add squash, zucchini, shallots, and thyme; saute for 5 minutes or until squash and zucchini are tender, stirring frequently. Cool the squash mixture slightly.

Combine 3/4 cup reduced-fat milk and the next 5 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Arrange squash mixture evenly over crust, and sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Pour the egg mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until filling is set. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack.


Oh, and the leftovers are SO GOOD. Enjoy!

0 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)