Good gracious.
Here's a cake for you.
In involves Andes mints. You know, the mints some restaurants graciously give you at the end of a meal. Mmmm.
Mint Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
cake -
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
1 package of Andes mints
filling-
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 Tbsp creme de menthe (or 1 Tbsp peppermint extract + 1 Tbsp water)
2 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
3 drops green food coloring
icing-
1 can milk chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in sour cream.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans, and bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and creme de menthe at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add food coloring, beating until incorporated.
- Spread half of creme de menthe filling between each layer. Frost top and sides with milk chocolate icing. Top with broken bits of Andes mints.
This recipe came out of a Paula Deen holiday baking magazine (2007) and was absolutely fantastic. It came with a creamy chocolate frosting recipe which I made and hated. So, I opted for good ole Milk Chocolate from a can and it was excellent.
PS- I'm linking up to Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green!
Enjoy!
PS- I'm linking up to Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green!











3 responses. Leave a Comment!:
Perfect timing! My Mom's Birthday is coming up in two weeks. I've been looking for a great dessert to bring to family dinner. She loves mint chocolate...this looks amazing and with Paula Dean's name behind it, it has to taste that way too! I am sold! Thanks!
One word...YUM!
Hi Kendall I LOVE your blog, I am a new reader & soon to be blogger.(when I figure it out..) Just wanted to let ya know I just got done with baking this cake & it turned out amazing. My hubs wore a path from the living room to the kitchen waiting for it to be ready!
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)