Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Strawberry Cake for your Sweetie

There's a little holiday coming up. You may have heard of it.
Valentine's Day.
Some people think it's a silly day, but I happen to love it. Everything about it. Since I was little. Single or taken, it's always been sweet to me. The hearts, red and pink, flowers, chocolates, cheesy cards and sappy proclamations of love - how could it be anything but great?

It's also an excuse to make something like this for your sweetie, whoever that may be :)

IMG_0323

Grandma's Strawberry Cake

Cake:
1 box white cake mix
4 eggs
3/4 cup cooking oil
1/2-1/3 cup water
1 3 oz box of Strawberry Jello
1/2 10 oz box of frozen strawberries (if you have some fresh, chop them up and throw them in, too)

Icing:
1/2 stick butter
1 16 oz box of powdered sugar
Other half of strawberries & juice to reach desired consistency


IMG_0273

If I were smart, I would keep all of these items on hand at all times. In fact, I think I will. Just in case of emergencies.

IMG_0275

First, preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs until light.

IMG_0277

Add in cooking oil and water.

IMG_0278

Mix dry ingredients into liquid.

IMG_0279

Beat well.

IMG_0282

Add strawberries.

IMG_0283

Stir until combined.

IMG_0285

Pour into well-greased cake pan.

Pause: Let's talk about this cake and the pan selection a bit. It's very moist and the icing is runny, so it's not something you can do in layers (you could, but would need to do different icing). It's best suited for a sheet cake pan, or something in one layer like this, then set into a dish with a rim to keep the icing from running off the plate and down the counters. That happened to me the first time I made this in college and it was total mess :)


IMG_0287

Bake 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and it bounces back to the touch. Let cool completely.

IMG_0302

To make the icing, the butter needs to be very, very soft. Add the box of powdered sugar and the remaining strawberries and juice (a little at a time) until you reach the desired consistency. I used a hand-mixer for this so it would be smooth.

IMG_0305

Ice the cake. Oh, heavens.

IMG_0311

Isn't she a beaut?

IMG_0326

Cut a slice for you and your sweetie.

IMG_0332

Grab a bite. Savor it!

IMG_0334

Wash that down with milk. 

Happy Valentine's Day - enjoy!!

5 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Kristen {a little ditty} said...

Yum! Sounds so good and looks so darn pretty too! Great pictures! I'm definitely going to have to try to make this sometime soon :)

Lindsey @ Magnolias and Gobbers said...

Yum. Strawberry cake is one of my favorites. I will definitely have to make this. It looks so easy.

And of course, you made it look so beautiful.

Ashley @ The Sweet Life Studio said...

Yummm! I want to give this one a try!

Ellyse said...

I can't wait to try this cake, looks so good! I love all the recipes you post on your blog! Thanks :)

pay per head said...

so yummy and easy to do , my kids is wanna love it!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)