Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

He Studies.

He studies. All the time.

IMG_3702

I am so proud of his dedication.

I'd have lost my mind by now. I'm certain of it.


Keith is out of dental school right now, and has been for a few weeks. Sounds like fun to be off, right? No work, no school! Not so much. Not when the only reason you are out for 5 weeks is to study for the MOST IMPORTANT TEST OF YOUR CAREER (so I hear)!  Yowzers!

Keith takes the first part of his National Boards next Tuesday, March 30. This written portion covers everything he has learned so far since he started dental school (2 school years worth of classroom/book stuff). 
The second part will be at the end of his 4th year and it will cover all the clinical stuff (so, he'll have to prove, on real patients, that he knows how to fill a cavity, do dentures, etc.). They say that second one is MUCH easier on you.

This first part of National Boards = brutal.
Especially if you want to do A+ awesome like my hubs.


Here is a taste of his life right now:

IMG_3694
In the study/office/extra guest room, he has piles of things everywhere.


IMG_3701
He says he knows where everything is.

Of course, this is not my study method. But, I'm so glad it works for him.
I would have wasted at least 50% of my time color-coding, tabbing, and organizing this stuff instead of actually learning it. Reason #28 why I'm not cut out for what Keith is doing!


IMG_3695
Some days I wonder how he can focus and not feel overwhelmed by the many piles and stacks of info.  I'm very impressed with him. He has not waivered!


Let's take a closer look at the sheer amount of stuff he's cramming into his brain:

IMG_3696
Lots of note cards.

IMG_3697
With lots of words. Front and Back.

IMG_3698
Words about stuff I don't understand.

IMG_3700
He is re-learning all about the body.
Look! There's Gray's Anatomy.

IMG_3703
He is especially concerned about the head and neck.
Duh, that's what dentists do!


And to keep going strong, and not loose focus, my sweet wonderful husband is posting scripture around his study cave:

IMG_3707
{see those lovely teeth on the shelf? one of our favorite home decor items :)}

He also has this note by the nightstand:
IMG_3714

I know that it would be so difficult for me to wake up early and start studying, knowing I had the whole day off. But, he gets up when I do. And heads to the cave.

IMG_3712
This has been his uniform. Fleece pullover and gym shorts.
He says he is a fleece freak.
I think he should take the test in the gray pullover for good luck!

IMG_3708
Hey, at least he still smiles!
It's all going to be over soon. You have lots of people cheering for you!

I'm so, so, so proud of him already. I know he will do great.
No matter what, I know he would appreciate your prayers and thoughts between now and Tuesday. It is going to be very tough and stressful :) Thanks, friends!!

3 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Jamie said...

I don't think I would be able to have that much dedication! Good luck to your hubby :)

Kristen {a little ditty} said...

Wow! There's a reason I went into advertising...no science, haha. His note by the alarms cracks me up! Good luck to the hubs!

LWLH said...

Goodness that is alot of studying....good luck!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)