Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Coconut-Curry Chicken Soup

As promised, here is the delicious Thai soup recipe!

IMG_9211

Coconut-Curry Chicken Soup (adapted from Cooking Light)
click here for printer-friendly version

Ingredients:
  • 4  cups  water
  • 3  cups  fresh spinach leaves
  • 1/2  pound  snow peas, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
  • 1 bag of sliced mushrooms
  • 1  (5 3/4-ounce) package pad thai noodles (wide rice stick noodles)
  • 1  tablespoon  canola oil
  • 1/4  cup  thinly sliced shallots
  • 2  teaspoons  red curry paste
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  curry powder
  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground turmeric
  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground coriander
  • 2  garlic cloves, minced
  • 6  cups  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1  (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk (next time, I'll add more, probably half another can)
  • 2 1/2  cups  shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
  • 1/2  cup  chopped green onions
  • 2  tablespoons  sugar
  • 2  tablespoons  fish sauce
  • 1/2  cup  chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 7  lime wedges

Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add spinach, mushrooms and peas to pan; cook for 30 seconds.

IMG_9195

Remove vegetables from pan with a slotted spoon; place in a large bowl. Add noodles to pan; cook 3 minutes

IMG_9197

Drain; add noodles to spinach mixture in bowl.

IMG_9200

Heat canola oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and the next 5 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly.

IMG_9203

Add chicken broth to pan, and bring to a boil.

IMG_9204

Side note: it helps in a recipe like this to have everything mise en place or 'in it's place' and ready to go

IMG_9205

Add coconut milk to pan; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

IMG_9207

Add chicken, onions, sugar, and fish sauce to pan; cook for 2 minutes.

IMG_9209

Stir in snow peas, spinach, mushrooms and noodles. Add cilantro and red pepper flakes. Serve with lime wedges.


A few notes:

*While this has a long ingredient list, it's not that bad if you make Thai food regularly. There were 5 or 6 basics I had to buy in order to make it, but now that I have them I'll be more inclined to make other Thai recipes I've bookmarked!
*I am a huge coconut milk fan, so I think I'll do more next time just to give it a little bit more of a creamy texture
*The fresh limes are critical. I LOVE the flavor it added!
*You could totally use frozen, thawed spinach to make it easier.
*Makes good leftovers!

1 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Stacy said...

Not sure how I came across your blog, but I love, love, love all the recipes you post! I am dying to make the coconut curry chicken soup!
Keep 'em coming!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)