Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Best gift I gave this year!

I'm SO excited to share this with you! I gave special Christmas gifts this year to my mother and grandmother that I just loved, and so did they :)

I'm sure you're not surprised to find that I come from a family that loves to cook. My grandma Bobo is particularly good and has been whipping up dishes for many, many years. I have talked about her and her recipes before in this post. After observing around her kitchen, I noticed that she stored her recipes in large plastic baggies. A very antiquated system, if you ask me. And, I know she had trouble finding things!

So, I enlisted the help of my talented friend, Michelle, at my office. She's an art director with some serious skills!

IMG_9398

Using Zazzle.com, she was able to fully design and upload artwork for 3 different 3-ring binders for my Grandma to store all of her recipes in. Aren't they pretty!!!??

IMG_9400

Each binder is customized with her lovely name :)

IMG_9401

I filled them with page protectors, and made dividers to break up all of the many food categories.

IMG_9402

I even told Michelle about a color scheme to match my Grandma's kitchen, and she did a perfect job!!

IMG_9417

The very best part was giving them to her!! She was shocked and so excited.

We proceeded to spend over 3 hours at her kitchen table sorting through all of her recipes and putting them into categories. She has a mix of magazine clippings, hand-written notes on the back of things, recipe cards, etc. So, it was really fun to sit together and go through them. Eventually, I'd like to help her type up her favorites and make a hard-bound book for the family. But, one step at a time! :)


But, I didn't stop there. I wanted my mom to have some, too!

IMG_9530

So, Michelle made a second set in colors to match Mom's kitchen! I love them!!

IMG_9526

This one is my favorite.

IMG_9529

No wait, this one is :) Ahh, I love them all! Don't they look cool when lined up together? I love the spines! I am thinking I'll have Michelle do a set with lots of red with my name on it, because I SO need some, too! 


Good news for you, friends..... My talented friend Michelle has the ability to make this available to you on Zazzle. She is in the process of uploading her artwork files so that anyone can get their name on the above designs. Here is her 'store'-zazzle.com/msimkin+gifts There is already one binder up, but more are to come! How exciting is that!? Or, you could chose from one of the many other designs that other artists have added. But, I'm personally partial to these!

Isn't gift giving fun?

16 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Courtney said...

These are so neat, and such a special gift! I am sure they loved them, my mom has all her recipes in plastic bags too!

emilybuckingham said...

I love love this!! What a precious gift to give & be treasured for so many years to come! Great idea! :)

Leah @ Everyday Love said...

What a fabulous idea, you're so thoughtful!

Colleen Sullivan said...

That is such an original and thoughtful idea! I think I'll have to get myself a few!

Anonymous said...

I love love love this idea!!! I will definitely be checking her out soon...

Michelle said...

What a great idea. I may have to ask for these for my birthday :)

According to Jax said...

What an amazing gift!! Makes me wish that I came from a family of good cooks! :)

Sara said...

What a great idea! I can imagine how fun it was to watch them open such special gifts!

Jessi said...

Those are so cute! What a great idea! I made my mom a binder a few years ago, but it's full now. I never thought about having volumes printed. Bookmarking this for Mother's Day!

Annette said...

What a sweet gift!! Love the recipe binders and would love to have one of my own.'
Just started following your blog and love your blog design! Did you design your blog yourself or did you have someone design it? I am in need of a change and was wanting to do something similar!!

Elizabeth Cheek said...

Just ordered four!! They are twenty % off now!!! Love them

Dawn said...

What a thoughtful gift! Your grandmother's reaction is priceless!

Brittany Bennett said...

Such a cute idea Kendall...you come up with the best stuff!!

Kayte Fry said...

How thoughtful! Just ordered a couple for my mom and grandma. I love your creative ideas - thanks!

Michelle Simkin said...

Yay! I am so glad they liked them! I am in the process of getting all of them up to customize...right now I have the three first ones up and ready to go:
http://www.zazzle.com/msimkin

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Wow, Kendall, what an amazing gift! Who knew that you could customize binders like that? The last picture with the spines is definitely my favorite.
Happy New Year!
Alissa

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)