Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Our Holiday House

IMG_1564

Welcome to our winter wonderland. Would you like to come inside?

IMG_1567

I'll take you on a tour.

IMG_1614

Is it overboard? Yes. Of course.

Wait, I can explain...

Disclaimer: My mother, Jantastic, used to decorate people's homes for Christmas as a side business. She's good, people. She has wicked wreath-making skills, she's a bow wizard and she just has a great eye. I asked forced her to come help me again this year. We changed things up quite a bit from last year! But, I didn't really buy anything new. We just re-arranged and used more creativity. Plus, the house just looks a lot more complete and 'lived-in' now that we've been here over a year.

More disclaimin': I have NO idea how I came to acquire so much Christmas loot! When we got married, all I had was a nice collection of ornaments that my Grandma had been adding to (more to come on the meaning of my ornaments in another post). So, I think between my Decorator Mom and Has-It-All-Mother-in-Law (the woman loves a bargain), I somehow ended up with a bunch of decorations. I am not complaining. Not one bit :)

I will confess that I bought some things myself with my hard earned dollars. I think everybody needs a few good Christmas basics of their own like a quality tree, nice garland, a couple of wreaths, lots of lights and solid-colored ball ornaments. With those in hand, you can do anything!

Okay, I've given my disclaimer. Just didn't want y'all thinking I was some kind of freak that spent all my paychecks on glittery things.

Let's return to the tour, shall we?



IMG_1445
So, this is the entry table. I used my sparkley trees here because I like 'em so much. They look nice with the pears, I think.

IMG_1460
The runner was a new addition. Thank you, Target!

IMG_1413
I was almost 100% sure these glitter candles would have ruined in the attic over summer because I put them up there like a total idiot! My Halloween ghost candle was a glob when I pulled those decorations out. But, I wrapped these so well they stayed in tact. Lucky me!

I just set them on a cheap gold charger and set a few cheap gold ornaments around.


IMG_1494
To the left of the entry is our dining room. I really like this way this turned out. We decided to play up silver and a little green in this room.

IMG_1448
The table decor was ALL my idea!! I saw something more elaborate in a magazine, and glittery deer are so popular this year. But, every time I saw them in stores they were like $20 a piece! No way! But, Target had these that were ornaments that stood on their own. $3 is more like it. Once again, thank you Target!

IMG_1449
Up close and personal with that deer. Did you notice he is missing an appendage? I didn't when I bought him. Oh well!


IMG_1450
This is our china hutch. Mom, once again, proved her mastery on the top of this.

IMG_1609
I already had all of this stuff. I got lots of clear glass pieces as wedding gifts, so we decided to utilize as many as we could. We filled 'em with fake snow.

IMG_1611
I wish I had taken step-by-step photos of my Mom making this. She brought 2 old wreaths from her house and just tore them apart and started all over. She combined some things, used some stuff I had from last year, and in a few minutes, she had made this! Wreath genius, I tell ya.

IMG_1608
This vase was just sitting empty in the corner. Mother Jantastic didn't like that. So, she filled it. So simple and sparkley. That corner really does look better now :)


IMG_1454
OH, I just love this!!! It's my hubby, Keith's woodland tree. He had this in his room growing up, so some ornaments have been his and some are ours from our collection.

IMG_1458
It has anything to do with nature: animals, outdoor activities, Santa on skiis, etc.


Now, moving on to the main event: The Christmas Tree.


IMG_1462
Ta-da! Oh Christmas Tree, how I love thee.

IMG_1492
The candy canes are a new addition this year. Found 'em at Pier 1. That store is a slice of heaven.


IMG_1489
Mom knows how to work with that holiday mesh ribbon you see everywhere in stores, she just tucked it in and fluffed it up. It really makes the tree look full.

IMG_1420
Tree topper. We are big fan of picks in my family.


IMG_1467
Next to the tree is our entertainment center. We took everything that was in it out and decided to re-decorate the whole thing to be more Christmas-y!

IMG_1468
This is our nativity scene. It was a Christmas gift last year from Keith's Grandma. Oh my goodness, I just love it. Each piece is really beautiful metal. It was Keith's idea to put them in this spot. That was his decor contribution!!

Sometimes I stare at the nativity instead of the TV :)



IMG_1486
I had totally forgotten about that red frame. It made me really happy when I found it in my box of loot. Like a forgotten little gem!

IMG_1488
More festive stuff on the shelves.


Moving right along to the fireplace and mantle:


IMG_1471
I think this may be my favorite area.

I bought the Santa canvas scroll last year but put it somewhere else. This time, I think he looks really fab up there in the spotlight. Santa likes being front and center!!

IMG_1473
The decor was simple and easy here, too. This was my idea and I'm quite proud!
I used more wedding gift crystal and glass and filled them with small bulbs. I had to get just a couple more boxes from Michael's to fill the vases up, but they had them on sale for like $2 or $3 a box, so it was a cheap investment that really went a long way.

IMG_1474
Then we added a few solid-colored bulbs to the garland.

IMG_1476
I did break one of the tiny gold ones when I was dropping them in here. And, I cut myself. Decorating is sometimes painful.


Here are a few other small areas around the house:

IMG_1477
To the right of the mantle, beside our couch. I filled a bowl with these really elaborate fruit ornament things (I think they're fruit?).

IMG_1480
A little simple coffee table addition. I used a large silver platter, 3 glitter candles and a wreath from Michael's that already had red berries, pinecones, etc.

IMG_1574
The view from the living room. Don't lights give everything a cozy glow!?

IMG_1568
Now, let's walk to the kitchen...

IMG_1500
This is our breakfast area hutch.
Penny (my Mother-in-Law) recently gave me that oh-so-cute red platter with the J on it. I'm in love with it. We added a wreath to the top of the hutch and this was done.


IMG_1502
On top of the fridge, I added a few picks to our little piggy.

He likes it.


IMG_1496
And this is behind the sink. Seeing this ski picture every time I'm in there makes me want to head to Keystone and hit the slopes!

I used a simple red place mat, turned the page of my cookbook to a holiday spread, and added a bucket full of red ornaments.


IMG_1498
Dish towel hanging on the oven...


IMG_1409
And this is in our front yard!
I got this at a local crafts show, they were painting names on right in front of you.


I hope you enjoyed the tour. I had fun telling you about it!!


Here are a few pictures taken 'behind the scenes' while decorating:


IMG_1405
My Mom. Jancredible! Jantastic! Janerrific!

IMG_1407
See the pipe cleaners? Those are essential!

IMG_1411
Don't worry I helped her. She didn't do all the work!

IMG_1429
Tree decorating with Keith. We saved this until the end and did it together.


IMG_1426
Keith with his dentist Santa that I found in San Diego.

IMG_1440
We had so much fun opening them up and ooing and ahhing over them. We'd seen them before, but it's really fun pulling them back out of the box!!


Merry Christmas, friends!



"For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given; and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor
Mighty God
Everlasting Father
Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6

18 responses. Leave a Comment!:

In This Wonderful Life said...

Can I please please hire Jan?!?! The house looks awesome! Man, I thought I had a lot of Christmas loot!! You may win! I need to get the rest of mine up and going!!! I'll snap pics once I do! Hope you are having a good week!!! :)

In This Wonderful Life said...

Maybe Jan should do a Christmas blog with demonstrations on bow making, wreath making & garland decorating?!

Claire said...

OOOOH I'm so excited to see it in person! This is making me miss not having a place of my own to decorate!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

How lucky you are to have a Christmas elf, I mean mom! to decorate your home!! It looks beautiful!!

Nicole said...

Very pretty! Love the sparkly trees...

Mrs. D said...

Loved it! Beautiful tree! Loved all the color!

Destination Seaborn said...

How pretty! I love all the bling-bling! Your mom did a great job on the Christmas tree...those are the colors of my tree too! Lucky you on the yard sign! ~Lisa

Debra Howard said...

What a beautiful home and I loved all the sparkle and shine of your beautiful Christmas decorations. I so enjoyed visiting.
Debbie

Heather said...

Your home is gorgeous, simply stunning! I love everything, especially that red and green Christmas tree!! It's beautiful! Merry Christmas!

Tabitha said...

Your home is absolutely beautiful! I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Delightful Dwelling said...

It looks gorgeous! I love the wreaths, the mantel, everything!

Summer said...

Your house is beautiful! You now have me wanting to put ornaments in my vases! How cute! I love all of your decor!!
Summer :o)

Ashlee said...

You have some amazing things going on in your house! You and your mom did a fantastic job! Very inspiring!

Linda said...

Your home looks so lovely all dressed up for Christmas. Y'all did a wonderful job.

The Writer Chic said...

It is all beautiful. Imagine how resplendant it will look in ten years as you continue to acquire stuff! Whoo-hoo!

Amanda said...

Wow! That is incredible! It is all beautiful and festive! I want to come have Christmas at your house! ;-)

Laryssa Herbert said...

Your tree is awesome!

Thanks for showing us around. Come by and visit me anytime. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I love that tree! Absolutely fabulous! It all looks so festive! Thanks for showing us around! I am stopping in from Nester's place. To see my tour click on the 'Christmas 2009' tag on the left sidebar of my blog.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)