Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Holiday Treats Exchange

Well, I'm pleasantly full from lots of treats as I sit here tonight and blog. This afternoon, I hosted a sweets exchange party for my Memphis friends. It was so much fun!!!

In this post, I showed you what I was getting my inspiration from. So, here are the pictures of the real party. It was a blast. Good desserts and good conversation. Oh, and recipes to share!

(I do promise to post about all of the desserts I made, and some of the ones I ate :)

IMG_1932
It's like Mrs. Claus' candy shop!

IMG_1933
So, for the decorations: I started with a plain white table cloth and pinned some candy cane ribbon across the front. I actually made the bows myself (a first attempt at large bows), and they turned out pretty good!


IMG_1934
For the centerpiece, I used 2 red trees that I already had (normally in my entry way). I used the bucket from my kitchen, and stuck in a few candy canes that were on my tree. My tree didn't miss them for the afternoon.

I also added my fancy, heavy, could-be-considered-a-weapon, red rolling pin.

IMG_1935
And a peppermint party couldn't be complete without real peppermints and candy canes! I filled a white coffee mug with 3 boxes of canes, and Keith was kind enough to unwrap a whole bag of peppermints for me to fill the jars. The jars were $2.99 at Walmart (they had lots of things I used for my party). They had such good deals!



IMG_1943
This was my entry-way drink server area.

I took this picture before we set out my Mom's hot drink server on the left. We had hot chocolate in it :)


IMG_1954
I served ice-cold milk and all the fixin's for hot chocolate.

The paper cups and napkins are from Walmart, too. I already had red and white mugs, so I arranged them in a pattern for fun.


IMG_1962
These were the treat boxes for everyone to use to pack-up a sample of everything in.

Once again, Walmart. They sold 'em packs of 3 for just a few dollars.


Here are the pictures of some of the sweets. I didn't get one of each dish, but most of them:

IMG_1936
All of the desserts I made had some form of peppermint. These are cocoa tassies with peppermint frosting. Recipe to come later. I promise.


IMG_1937
These are mint truffles with crumbled peppermint. I took step-by-step photos of this process for ya :)


IMG_1938
My Mom's peanut butter fudge. OMG. The Best Ever!


IMG_1939
I made these peppermint bonbon cookies and was almost convinced they were going to be terrible.

Result = not terrible.

That striped platter was also from Walmart for only $7. What a deal!

IMG_1940
There's a funny story on how I arrived at making these cupcakes. Will share later.
These are simple white cake mix cupcakes with a delicious peppermint frosting (that was the homemade part).

IMG_1944
View of the (loaded) table.

IMG_1956
It was overflowing with everyone's baked goodness.

IMG_1947
Lauren's delicious almond bark cookies. One of my favorite things I ate!

IMG_1948
Lynsi's graham cracker toffee crunch. Yummm-o!

IMG_1949
Oh my. Julie out-did herself. These are peppermint brownie pops. And they're precious!

IMG_1951
Kayla made a traditional peanut butter press cookie. They were so pretty and tasty! It has inspired me to at least try to make cookies using a press. My grandma gave me one as a wedding gift and I've always been scared to try. Kayla has motivated me now after tasting these!

IMG_1955
Kristen couldn't make it but she sent her crinkle cookies. Mmmmm.


IMG_1961
LOOOOOK at those precious Santas! Lindsey Lissau and her sweet daughter Abby brought all of these.


IMG_1965
The coffee table was loaded down, too. Food was everywhere.


IMG_1963
And everybody was enjoying the treats, and each other.

IMG_1970
It was a good turn-out. About 17 lovely ladies :)

IMG_1966
Sweet Abby enjoyed her cupcake :)

IMG_1971
Adonia (married to a dental student) and Kathryn and Megan are in Keith's class. All such sweet, sweet girls.

IMG_1972
My Mom and Mother-in-Law. Two very fashionable Moms!


IMG_1973
Julie and Kayla


IMG_1974
Lynsi and Lauren


IMG_1976
Wives Club!

IMG_1977
I hopped around and got pics with everyone :)
Camera hog!

IMG_1981
Lindsey and Abby. So precious! Lindsey's husband Casey works with me at cs2. She also is an amazing photographer and took our pictures this summer.

IMG_1984
cs2 bunch!
Claire, me, Lisa, Lauren, Kate and Lindsey with Abby


IMG_1986
More wives club

IMG_1988
The boys returned when the party ended. I like this little family picture :)


IMG_1991
Keith and his adorable mom, Penny. Her houndstooth dress was super cute.

All in all, it was a wonderful party. There were lots of treats to go around, plenty for everyone to take home and plenty for me to take to work tomorrow. There's just more sweets than I can bear to eat! Each thing I tasted was yummy though!

Thanks to all the ladies who came with food made from the heart. I enjoyed having each of you in my home and I am so glad to have all of your recipes now. Merry Christmas!!

1 responses. Leave a Comment!:

In This Wonderful Life said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS!!! Those sweets would have been like heaven for me!! YUMMMMMM

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)