Ornaments. Are there any Christmas items more beautiful? Tiny ones, shiny ones, elaborate, homemade, sparkly ones, round, old ones, new ones. A person's Christmas tree says a lot about them. Often times, you can study a tree and see a glimpse at a couple's life together: see the crafts from their kids over the years, the adventures they've had.....and sometimes trees are purely decorative and all the ornaments coordinate perfectly.
I like the idea of collecting ornaments that are meaningful, but also giving your tree an overall theme. This year, mine is red and green. But, all of my special ornaments are there.
Most of the ornaments I buy are glass-blown. It's just a style of ornament that I really prefer. They are sparkly, glittery and colorful! My favorite brand is Merck Family's Old World. Christopher Radko is another popular brand, but I think it's a little too pricey. Anyway, I'm a big Old World fan. Huge. I want to go to their factory and play for hours.
So, since every tree has a story, I'm going to tell you mine:
I like the idea of collecting ornaments that are meaningful, but also giving your tree an overall theme. This year, mine is red and green. But, all of my special ornaments are there.
Most of the ornaments I buy are glass-blown. It's just a style of ornament that I really prefer. They are sparkly, glittery and colorful! My favorite brand is Merck Family's Old World. Christopher Radko is another popular brand, but I think it's a little too pricey. Anyway, I'm a big Old World fan. Huge. I want to go to their factory and play for hours.
So, since every tree has a story, I'm going to tell you mine:
Those of you that know me well know that I'm a very organized person. Nothing is ever perfect, but I get a little OCD about some things. The ornaments are no different. I am very particular about all of these little babies :)
I have 3 big plastic storage bins and I keep each ornament in its own box, labeled on the bottom.
Old World ornaments have 'names' and a little story with each. I keep all of that info inside, and write the year I got the ornament on the bottom, too.
I also make note of who gave it to me
Unpacking the ornaments to hang on the tree is one of my most favorite holiday activities. Keith and I do this alone together and talk about them, admire the prettiness and pick the best places for each.
Putting them back in the box takes a lot more time when it's all over! After all, they have to go back in the right place :)
Here are the stories and meanings behind some of my ornaments:Putting them back in the box takes a lot more time when it's all over! After all, they have to go back in the right place :)
Keith and I started buying ornaments anytime we went somewhere....
Purchased on our honeymoon in Riviera Maya, Mexico
Got that one there, too!
After we went to Maui last year, Keith surprised me with this Hawaiian Santa.
All the details are so beautiful!
Dad also got me an ornament in Maui. I have a wine bottle stopper that matches (I collect those, too)
I went to Seattle in Spring of 2008 with my Mom to meet Jennifer and Jerry (my sister and brother-in-law). I bought this ornament at the Space Needle gift shop, right after we had been up to the top.
In early winter 2007, we went on a family ski trip to Keystone. I bought this gondola ornament at a book shop at the base of the mountain.
In summer 2007, Keith and I went to Europe. We spent most of our time in Germany with Tory and Adam, and I bought this German Mrs. Claus at a Christmas shop on the Ramstein Air Force base. I love this ornament!
I also got this cute little guy there, too. "Prost" is the German equivalent to 'cheers,' and they take this very seriously over there!
This is significant of the time we spent in Paris and Rome on that same trip.
There have been times that we've forgotten to buy an ornament, or just couldn't find one we liked. But, I'm making it more and more of a priority when I vacation!
We also have ornaments that represent our personalities and activities together:
The dentist Santa! I love him :) I'm open to adding more dental ornaments to our tree over the years. Plus, I doubt I'll ever find an "advertising executive Santa."
My Tridelta ornament! This is a Radko, and he makes some beautiful stuff. This is one of my most expensive ornaments on the tree, but I knew I had to have it when I saw it! We need a Kappa Sig one for Keith, I wonder if anyone makes fraternity ornaments?
Arkansas Razorback football ornament! Go Hogs!
Oooooh, I wonder if there are any pretty Old Main ornaments out there? Let me know if you've seen one in an Arkansas shop....
I think this is my favorite one on the tree! Keith ordered it custom (from Bronners) and gave it to me last year on Christmas morning. I can't imagine a more beautiful 'our first Christmas' ornament!!
He and I picked this one out together to represent this year.
For my golf lover hubby!
He's also a big fisherman!
The monarch butterfly, in honor of Kyle.
The orange gift, also in honor of Kyle.
But, some of the most special ornaments on the tree are the ones that have been given to us:
Jeni gave me this before we got married!
I love that it has our name on the back!
Stacia gave all the girls this when she asked us to be her bridesmaids. So clever! I still keep it in the same bag with the note she made. It's a beautiful snowflake, I think!
Meredith gave her roommates this when we lived in the Delta house...
2004. Seems like yesterday sometimes!
Lauren Quick made this ornament for me in 2002, it has a sweet note on the back.
I treasure this one.
Somehow the bead in the middle got broken off. I hate that!
Ms Penny gave me this peppermint one when she came to my treats exchange, she knew I had a theme!
For the past 3 years, my Aunt Kay has given me the official White House ornament for that year. They are so beautifully made! Aunt Kay used to work in DC every week and commute from Arkansas. As a result, she got to see so much of our nation's capital and developed a big love for all things patriotic! She even has her own "American" tree filled with things like the White House ornaments....each of them has a story and meaning.
2007
2008
2009
They are just so intricate!
Julie gave us this Elvis ornament. Which reminds me, I should be on the lookout for more Memphis things!
The person that REALLY got me started loving ornaments and collecting them is my Grandma. On my twenty-first birthday, she gave me 21 Old World ornaments to start me off. Since then, she gives me a few for birthdays and Christmases. She's the reason for such a full tree! I get so excited each time she hands me a sack with those signature green Old World boxes. The company even has a big poster that shows you alllll of the ornaments in their collection. I get excited when I can mark off more that I have!
Here are a few of my favorites that she has given me:
Here are a few of my favorites that she has given me:
Amazing. Those wings!
The wedding cake. SO lovely.
Bride and Groom.
If only she was brunette :)
The Hearth.
Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus.
3 wise men, this is an elaborate one!
SO darling!! The tortoise and the hare :)
Look at the rabbit's sneakers!
The Christmas Ham.
Hehe.
Ice Skating Santa and the Elaborate Cross
New this year: 'Our New Home'. So sweet! Grandma said she's had this one for a while and has been waiting to give it to me.
French Horn.
Trumpet.
Poinsettia.
The chef! Adorable!
Some of Grandma's ornaments get to go on the 'man tree'.
German Shorthair dog.
Colorful fish!
And lastly, the lovebirds in the nest.
Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, and Keith and I wish everyone a wonderful holiday. May peace and love fill your heart and home!!







4 responses. Leave a Comment!:
I love the White House ornaments! We get them every year from the Blockleys. Come visit us and we will show you our collection of dentist ornaments! Hate that I missed the treats exchange party! Hope you guys have a very merry Christmas!
You have such beautiful ornaments...love the home and wedding ones! :)
Mom and I just loved this post Kendall! You are such a good storyteller! I love it! Beautiful stories and ornaments!
Nice post, I hope y'all had a merry Christmas! I like Keith's red sweater, ask him if I can borrow it when I go back to dc.
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)