Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

*Spicy* Latin Baked Chicken

Some like it hot, folks.

IMG_6050

While this chicken may look harmless, I can tell ya that it packs a punch.
And I loved it.

This was our second new recipe from the menu to make this week. It comes from Cooking Light, but I made a few slight adjustments.


IMG_6040


Spicy Latin Baked Chicken
(click here for printer-friendly version)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (takes about 2 limes)
3 Tbsp less-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce (in retrospect, I should have seeded these)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Spanish or Yellow Rice


Preheat oven to 400
IMG_6041

Measure out the first 4 ingredients, and put in a bowl:

IMG_6042

Stir to combine.

IMG_6043

Add the chicken and toss to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.

IMG_6044

Arrange chicken, without marinade, in a broiler pan coated with cooking spray (which I did not have, so I used a cookie sheet, which was fine, but not ideal).

Stick in the oven for 15 minutes.

IMG_6045

Meanwhile, blend the remaining marinade to make it smooth. This is where an immersion blender is extra handy!

IMG_6047

Once it's smooth, place in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, cook 3 minutes.

IMG_6048

This step seemed a little annoying to me, but I obliged.
I think it ultimately just made the sauce spicier! Next time, I doubt I'll boil it.

The chicken should be coming out of the oven soon. Flip the chicken over. Baste it with half of the sauce mixture. Stick it back in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove, flip again, and baste with remaining sauce. It goes back in the oven for 10.


IMG_6049

Ahhhh! Black! See why my cookie sheet is not ideal? The sauce ran all over it and burnt up to a crisp. The chicken was perfectly fine, but scrubbing that later was not fun! Luckily it all came off.

So, now it's done! During this whole process I had yellow rice going on the stove:

IMG_6050

The chicken was hot! And yummy! 
At first, Keith didn't think he could handle it (he is not a fan of spicy), but he ended up eating almost 3 chicken breasts, so I'd say he liked it!

2 responses. Leave a Comment!:

B said...

That sounds SO good. :)

Jamie said...

My hubby would love that...he loves spicy food!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)