My Grandma has been making these pickles for years. Finally, I got around to making a big jar of my own. They've got a sweet, spicy and garlicky flavor. If I could send you a sample to convince you of their deliciousness, I would!
Here's how you do it:
click here for printer-friendly version
Big jar of pickles (like from Sam's)
Sliced Jalapenos (not as many as you see pictured, I only used a small portion of that)
4 lb bag of sugar
3 bulbs of garlic
Cinnamon Sticks, about 9
Yes ma'am (or sir), that's a lot of garlic!!! Your hands are gonna smell deeelightful after this :)
Ok, next step is to drain ALL the juice off the pickles. Pour out about 2/3 of the pickles into a colander. You're about to do some layering!
Pour about 1/3 of the sugar on top of the bottom layer....
There's no exact science here. Layer on top of the sugar: 3 cinnamon sticks, 1/3 of your garlic cloves and a small handful of jalapenos (no jalapeno juice).Then add your next 1/3 of pickles. Then repeat the layers...
Closer towards the end, you'll wonder how in the heck it's all gonna fit in there. Shake the jar around. It'll settle. See the sugar already starting the break down at the bottom in this picture?:
It seems like too much sugar. I assure you, it's not! It breaks down the pickles and makes its own juice. For about 3 days, it's gonna marinade in there. Every day, let the jar spend some time upside down. Shake it up good a few times a day, too.

After a few days, taste one. They're so yummy! Put 'em in the fridge so they will get cold and extra crisp.
Our favorite way to eat them is with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese and a cracker. These are habit forming!!
(As promised, pictures of the final product)
Now you don't eat the cinnamon, garlic or jalapenos (unless you are adding them to something else, or you're just really brave!)
Over the past 2 days, we've already eaten what you see missing from the top. We love 'em! Keith swears he ate about 30 tonight after his flag football game :)
Let's take a closer look...
They may look like normal picks to you, but these are one-of-a-kind.







3 responses. Leave a Comment!:
YUUUUUUUUM! I want to make these!!!
hey- bring these in to work!! ;)
Bring some to our next wives' club meeting! :)
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)