Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

September 11, 2003

Let's go back 6 years.

I was a freshman at the University of Arkansas. I'd been there one whole month. I was single and lookin' to mingle. I had a really fun roommate, Whitney. I just pledged Tridelt. I was ready to party and meet new people.

I had promised to myself before going to college that I WAS NOT going to date just any frat guy that came along. I'd be single for a while to get settled, make friends with everyone, and not get into anything serious. I was being cautious of this big, new place full of creepy guys. Single, my friends. I was staying single.

The Sunday afternoon before the first day of school:
Whitney and I are out running errands, and we decided to stop by the Kappa Sig fraternity house to see her boyfriend at the time, Quinten. He was a new pledge.
He had a new big brother in the fraternity. And, he brought his big brother with him outside to meet us in the parking lot.

"Hi, I'm Keith Jones."

Heart Stops. Breathe, Kendall. This is the FIRST guy you are meeting at college. Restrain yourself!

So, I was friendly, but hesitant. He was, after all, the cutest guy I'd ever laid eyes on. I was convinced a guy that good-looking and smart had to be a total jerk deep down, especially since he was laying it on so thick with this new freshman girl.
Over the next few days and weeks he was always around. I think he was stalking me. Yes, I'm certain he was. He wanted to make me his.

I resisted for only 3 weeks. Finally, on Thursday, September 11, 2003 we went on our first date. It was an accidental date....

First date:
Whitney and I were listed as "pre-dental" majors. Haha! My, how that changed. Anyway, so there was a campus meeting for the Pre-Dental Society and we were planning to join. So, of course, my big crush, Keith was there and after it was over, he offered a ride back to the dorm for Whitney and I.

We pulled up outside and Keith looked at me and asked if I had plans and wanted to "chill." Yes, those were his words. I don't remember what happened to Whitney. I guess she just jumped out of the car so we could get started "chilling!"

It didn't feel like a first date, but it was. We went by Sonic and got our favorite drinks. We walked around the mall (so awesome, right!?) and then he took me to dinner at McAlister's Deli.
By the end of the night, we knew A LOT about each other. We even talked about our relationship with God that night. I felt like I could tell him everything. It was unlike any other guy I'd been out with.

Once I gave in and agreed to the next date, I was history. Totally sold. Smitten. Brain=total mush.
SO in love. We were obsessed!

First picture together:


{sorry so fuzzy, it's a picture of a picture!}


I knew I was going to marry him after the 3rd or 4th week. I was 100% sure of it.
It became so clear to me only 2 months later that God had placed Keith in my life for a lot of reasons, but it was in His perfect timing that we met when we did. He knew I would need Keith to grieve with, cry with, laugh with, love... and to help me learn how to deal with the pain.
Keith saved me, and reminded me who Kendall was when I didn't feel like I knew myself or my life anymore.

So, I always get a little sappy when I think about how we met and came to be. It the truest example in my life of God's perfect timing.

6 years later, I am still very much in love and very happy. We don't look quite as young as we did in that first picture, but I like how we look today just fine :)

Here's a walk down memory lane....Do you mind if I indulge myself?

{hog game}

{kyle bollen golf tourney}

{family trip to Kauai, Hawaii, Dec 04}

{me being envious of keith's summer tan}

{Christmas 05, I think}

{trip to Europe, at Versailles}

{my 21st birthday}

{perfect proposal, may 2007}

{engagement photo}

{wedding day, 6-21-08}

{first house}

{first anniversary}


Ahh, that was fun!


Tonight, Keith and I are headed to the Viking School in Memphis to a cooking class. This past May, Keith's class pitched in and got him/us a gift certificate there. We are just now getting around to it, and I can't wait! This is a perfect night to go and the class we're attending is going to be fun for him, too. It's all about Steaks. I'll let you know how it goes!

Happy 6 years of "dating", Keith! I know this date isn't as significant now as our wedding anniversary, but still very special to me :) Love you!!

1 responses. Leave a Comment!:

In This Wonderful Life said...

cute blog :) I saw the link on your facebook!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)