Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Potato Gratin with Rosemary Crust

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! We sure did :) I also have to thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for your sweet comments on my last post. I was just overwhelmed by them. Thank you SO much, you have no idea what it means to me!

Now, let's talk food.

IMG_9047

For turkey day, my mother and I decided to make a recipe from Southern Living's December issue. It's a bit of a twist on your standard potato side dish, and it was fabulous!! I will be making this recipe for years to come, and I won't just reserve it for Thanksgiving either!

Potato Gratin with Rosemary Crust

Ingredients:
1 (14 ounce) package of refrigerated pie crusts
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp ground fresh pepper
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Gruyere cheese, divided
1.5 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
1.5 lbs sweet potatoes
1 tsp Kosher salt
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 garlic clove, minced
Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs

This is SO easy and looks beautiful!

IMG_9006

Preheat oven to 450. Unroll pie crust on lightly floured surface.

IMG_9012

Sprinkle rosemary, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese over crust, and top with remaining pie crust. Roll into a 13" circle using a rolling pin.
IMG_9015

Place in bottom and up sides of a 9" springform pan. Fold edges under. Chill.

IMG_9040

Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Layer one-third each of Yukon gold potatoes, sweet potatoes, and salt in prepared crust. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice, pressing layers down slightly to fit.

IMG_9042

Microwave cream and garlic in a 1-cup microwave-safe measuring cup at HIGH 45 seconds

IMG_9043

Pour over potato layers in pan.

IMG_9044

Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Cover pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet.

IMG_9045

Bake at 450° for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 25 minutes or until potatoes are done and crust is richly browned. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes.

IMG_9049

Carefully transfer to a serving plate, and remove sides of pan. If desired, carefully slide gratin off bottom of pan using a long knife or narrow spatula. Garnish, if desired.


This was delicious as leftovers as well! I hope you will give it a try, you will certainly impressive your dinner guests!

6 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Alexis Anderson said...

Yummmmmmm! Looks great! So glad I got to see you this weekend! Miss you and love you tons. See ya in a month! xoxoxo

jenn from midlife modern said...

Holy, moly mother of pearl. That looks intensely rich and ridiculously decadent. And super impressive with the pretty crust and careful arrangement. Gruyere makes my heart sing. I may have to cop this recipe. Southerners know how to hold it down, holiday style.

Meredith Pettigrew said...

OMG that is so funny. I pulled that recipe out of the SL issue and decided to make it for my Christmas dinner. I guess great minds think alike. Glad to know it is good.

Anonymous said...

This looks sooo good!

Meagan

The Pink Panther said...

Can you freeze and reheat this?

Southern Sass said...

I made this for our church ladies function. It was good but next timeI am changing the cheese to a cheddar the swiss or Guyerecheese I didnt like the bitterness.. but awesome idea!! I cut all my potatoes super thin with my veggetti and the super thin ensures even cooking of the sweet potatoes!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)