Tonight we had such a yummy meal that I just couldn't wait to share it! The cover of this month's Food Network Magazine features this recipe, and as soon as it arrived in my mailbox, I knew I wanted to try it. The recipe comes from Ina Garten, and you can trust anything she puts her name on! The cooler weather and rainy day put me in the mood for soup, and this did not disappoint! It was delicious. The Gruyere grilled cheese was so tasty that I made extra for us to have on the side. Keith also approves!
Tomato Soup with Gruyere Grilled Cheese Crutons
click here for printer-friendly version
Ingredients:
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 yellow onions, chopped
1 Tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
4 cups chicken stock
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano (my store doesn't sell these so I opted for 2 cans stewed tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano)
Large pinch of saffron threads (sold in the spices section, this stuff is pricey but worth it!)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup orzo
1/2 cup heavy cream
Grilled Cheese Crutons:
4 slices thick country white bread
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (I bought an apple wood-smoked Gruyere)
In a large pot or Dutch oven such as Le Creuset, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for
15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Add the garlic
and cook for 1 more minute. Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes,
saffron, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring the soup to a
boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. At this stage, I used an immersion blender to break down some of the really large stewed tomatoes. I liked the smooth texture this gave the soup.
Meanwhile, fill a medium pot with water, add 2 teaspoons salt and
bring to a boil. Add the orzo and cook for 7 minutes. (It will finish
cooking in the soup.) Drain the orzo and add it to the soup. Stir in the
cream, return the soup to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes,
stirring frequently.
While the soup finishes, heat a panini grill. Place the four slices of bread on a cutting
board and brush lightly with the melted butter, being sure to butter the
corners. Turn the slices over and pile Gruyere on two of the slices.
Place the remaining two slices of bread on top of the Gruyere, buttered
sides up.
Grill the sandwiches on the panini grill for about 5 minutes, until
nicely browned. Place on a cutting board, allow to rest for 1 minute
and cut into 1-inch cubes.
Serve soup hot with Grilled Cheese Croutons scattered on top. I made extra sandwiches and served on the side of the soup.
Enjoy!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 responses. Leave a Comment!:
This was delicious!! We had it last night for dinner, but Spencer refuses to have a meal without meat, so I made grilled chicken & gruyere cheese sandwiches with french bread (instead of croutons) to dip in the soup. It was fantastic!
I really appreaciate your blog; from the great recipes, trips and weddings...you and hubby live it up and it is fun to observe. Thanks for sharing.
Tiffany S, from Northern Virginia,
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)