Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

BLT Benedict with Avocado-Tomato Relish

Hi there!! I know I've been MIA lately. If you're still reading this blog, you're obviously still stickin' with me - so, thank you! Don't worry about me - life is good, but busy. I had a birthday this week that I'll be recapping soon - it was great!

In the meantime, we have a weekend upon us. Heck YES. And, here's the perfect brunch recipe if you're in the mood for something different. This is a Southern Living recipe that I tore out of a magazine in March of 2011, and can't believe it took me so long to make it. The ripe colorful tomatoes and in-season avocados made it perfect for this time of year. I'm squeezing every last drop of my favorite summer flavors before I dive head-first into fall cooking!

IMG_5944

The flavor of the relish was delicious. Believe or not, this was my first time to poach eggs in simmering water. I have a handy little egg poacher that I usually use. It was so easy that I'm shocked I've waited so long to give it a try. I thought for sure I was messing it up as I was doing it, but the eggs turned out perfectly. Keith LOVED this brunch - right up his alley.

BLT Benedict with Avocado-Tomato Relish
click here for printer-friendly version

Ingredients:
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (I used a mix of red and yellow)
1 avocado, diced
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar, divided
6 large eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
6 thick bakery bread slices, lightly toasted
3 cups arugula
12 thick slices bacon, cooked (I used applewood-smoked and baked in glass dish for 40 minutes at 350)

Combine tomatoes and next 5 ingredients and 2 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar in a small bowl.

Add water to depth of 3 inches in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and maintain at a light simmer. Add remaining 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar. Break eggs, and slip into water, 1 at a time, as close as possible to surface. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. Remove with a slotted spoon. Trim edges, if desired.

Spread mayonnaise on 1 side of each bread slice. Layer each with 1/2 cup arugula, 2 bacon slices, and tomato mixture. Top each with one egg. Season with Salt and Pepper.


Enjoy!!





3 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Colleen Sullivan said...

This looks so good! I might make it for dinner next week!

Anonymous said...

I made this last night with my last good tomato (used slicer instead of grapes). It was amazing. Thanks! - Carmen

Kristen {a little ditty} said...

Wow, you posted so many good recipes this month! Looks delicious. I've never poached an egg, but have always wanted to try it and I love all kinds of eggs so I don't know what's taken me so long. Thanks for the instructions, I am going to try this soon!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)