Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta Carbonara

Yum in a bowl. This pasta dish made me feel all kinds of fall warmth and home-y comfort.

photo

I haven't been to the grocery store in 2 weeks. We haven't spent a weekend at home in 6 weeks. The miles on the car have racked up, too! We've had a great time heading to weddings, showers, and football games and I can't wait to go to my parents for Thanksgiving... and for my husband to get back from his big Montana hunt trip. But, I am in desperate need of a slow down. That may not happen anytime soon seeing as how December is not known for it's low-key nature! In the meantime, I'll relish in random nights like this when I find the time to cook dinner.

So, anyway, our kitchen is pretty empty. I really didn't think I had enough to scrounge together a dinner for myself, but I noticed I had a leftover butternut squash from a few weeks ago, some apple wood-smoked bacon in the fridge and a few pasta basics. A quick search in my Google Reader turned up this recipe from Closet Cooking. I wish I had some fresh sage as I know that really would have set it off. This was quite tasty and I can't wait to make it for Keith!

Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta Carbonara

Ingredients:
1/2 pound pasta (I used penne)
6 slices of bacon, cut into 1-inch slices (I recommend apple wood-smoked for extra flavor)
2 cups butternut squash (cut into small pieces)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp of fresh sage, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
Pepper to taste
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, shredded

Directions:

-Start boiling water in a large pot for the pasta
-Cook the bacon in a saute pan until crisp, drain on paper towels, but reserve about 1 Tbsp drippings in pan.
-Add the squash to the pan, and toss to coat in grease. Saute until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
-Meanwhile, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook as directed on the package.
-Meanwhile, mix the egg yolk, heavy cream and cheese in a bowl with a whisk or fork.
-Drain the cooked pasta, reserving about 2 Tbsp of the water
-Add the garlic, sage and pepper to the squash and saute until fragrant, about a minute
-Add the pasta to the pan and toss.
-Remove the pan from the heat and wait for the sizzling to stop.
-Add the egg mixture and toss to coat.
-Add a bit of the pasta water and toss mixture to coat.
-Top with the bacon, fresh sage and more cheese.
Enjoy!!

1 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Colleen Sullivan said...

This looks great! Applause to you for whipping up a delicious dinner from what you already have!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)