This weekend was amazing! Keith and I traveled to Fayetteville, Arkansas for the Razorback Homecoming game versus South Carolina. Being that both teams were ranked in the top 10, it was very exciting! But, in addition to the great game, I got to be part of some special Homecoming festivities....
First, a blast from the past:
This is me in 2006! I had the honor of being the U of A Homecoming Queen my senior year of college. This wasn't something I would have ever imagined for myself, nor did I seek it out. It was pretty amazing to me that I was nominated by my peers, selected to advance in interviews, narrowed down to a group of 5 girls by the football team and then voted as the queen by the campus! Totally mind-boggling and a complete honor.
My parents were (and still are) extremely proud. I'm sometimes in disbelief that it happened to me. I'm not a fan of pageants and never would have thought I would seriously wear a crown for any reason! So, this was a pretty crazy thing to me.
Look at how young we look! My role as Homecoming Queen pretty much consisted of an exciting week of campus events, a parade, pep rally and being crowned queen by the chancellor at the homecoming halftime show. I also got to come back the next year and crown the new queen. There weren't any 'duties' otherwise. Perfect gig!
I was really excited this year to be notified by the campus that they were inviting back all former Homecoming Queens to participate in the festivities around the theme of "Journey Through the Decades". This was the first time they've ever brought the ladies back. It was SO awesome to meet queens from the 50s, 60s, 70s, etc. Here are the pics from our re-living-the-glory-days weekend!
Ready for the parade with former Tridelta queenies!
My sweet hubs - he was an awesome photographer for all of the events!
Me with my brother-in-law's sweet girlfriend, Shelby. They are college freshman just living it up!
This was the 2007 queen that I got to go back and crown, Katy O'Connell Allen. Her husband is Kris Allen, as in he-won-American-Idol Kris Allen. Pretty amazing! Best of all, she is an incredibly sweet girl!! It was really nice to catch up with her.
My parade car for the night. It was definitely the coolest corvette convertible there!
We also got to wear some cute vintage-y mum pins. So festive!
My parade partner, and the 2005 queen that crowned me, Courtney Backus. We were already friends and Delta sisters in college when we were both queens. It was exciting to share the fun back then and re-live it together, too!
Off we go!
The parade ended at the Greek Theater for the pep rally. The queenies had a row of chairs right in front!
We lined up from the oldest to the most-recent. We had a queen from 1959! Amazing and so adorable.
Out of the group of 20+, we had 5 Trideltas - way to represent, ladies!!
Up on stage for our introductions.
Cheering for the new queen on stage!
On game day, the weather was beautiful!!
We love going back to campus!
Guy friends: Kevin, Clint, Keith, Jarred, and Brandon
Hugs from Joanna!
Game time - this was a huge game and the crowd was so fired up.
A new favorite picture of mine!
With Page and Courtney on the field for the halftime show.
Beautiful Katy!
That's me with sweet Ms Bettye. She was the oldest queen there and probably the most energetic!
Group picture!
Waving from the field.
It would have been really fun to watch the rest of the game from the sidelines!
The game was incredibly exciting and we WON! It was a great win for the hogs.
Needless to say, if they ever invite back the old has-been queenies of long ago, I'll be there in full force wearing Razorback red! I had a wonderful time and couldn't be more proud of my Alma Mater, the Hogs, my sorority and the tremendous honor I had to be the U of A queen.




































8 responses. Leave a Comment!:
this is SO neat and you look Adorable.
Kendall this is so cool I had to comment! Usually I just stalk haha. How neat!! Imagine telling your kids one day!!!
This is so fun I love the recap! That is a great honor! I was just talking to a friend and found out he was a Razorback too! Did you get to keep your crown?
Oh Kendall, how exciting! You were,and still are a beautiful queen!! Way to represent cousin! Haha! :)
I've got to ask where is that coat from?!!? Adorable!!
How cool! What a fun honor! :o) (so cool that you were there with Katy Allen. Kris was & will always be my favorite on AI, and I have always thought she was so cute!) My hubby & I are headed to Fayetteville this weekend for the UA/UT game, and I am so excited! This is our first trip to Fayetteville. Have a great week!
How FUN! It's no surprise you were crowned the homecoming queen...you're beautiful!
looks like so much fun!! i love that you live in memphis! i actually used to live there and graduated from cordova highschool!
love your blog! xoxo
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)