Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Champagne Turkey

As promised, here is the recipe for the best turkey you'll ever eat. Trust me. Now, there are some people that claim a fried turkey is the best ever. I haven't tried that. So, until I test a fried bird, I'm going to say that this is the only way to do it.

Champagne Turkey
click here for printer-friendly version

IMG_1351

You need to know that this bird is going to fall apart because it's so tender. So, if you're all about the golden presentation surrounded by stuff, this ain't for you. We care about the flavor, so we're happy to have a turkey that falls apart. I think that serving it on a platter is the most convenient for guests anyway.


Ok, here it goes. You need a big turkey. NOT a butterball, people.

*****Note: Leave the blog now if you don't want to see raw poultry.******

IMG_1263

Make sure it's thawed.

IMG_1270

This recipe is simple. All you need is a bottle of champagne, it can be as cheap as you like, apples, butter, salt and pepper and garlic powder. You also need an oven roasting bag and you'll need to lightly flour the inside of it.


Next step, enlist some assistance if you don't like touching raw bird.

IMG_1272

Dad has always helped Mom do the turkey. He makes it entertaining!

IMG_1280

Clean out the turkey, remove the innards.


Crack open the champagne. Share a glass with a friend, because you're only going to use about 2/3 of the bottle.


IMG_1291
Dad, so odd.
Excuse my jammies. It was family cooking time, and I was comfortable.

IMG_1293
Put bird in the oven bag. Mom has always done it face down to make it more tender. But, this year, we did it face up to see if it made a difference. It didn't. The whole turkey is still tender when cooked right side up.

IMG_1294
Getting a 15 lb turkey in a bag requires some engineering.

IMG_1298
Put the apple slices in the 'cavity' of the bird.

IMG_1304
Pour the champagne all over!!

IMG_1303
Cut a stick of butter.

IMG_1316
Stick some inside and then all over and around the turkey.

IMG_1319
Salt, pepper and garlic powder that baby up.

IMG_1328
Tie the legs together.

IMG_1329
Tie the bag together. (Note: we also set the pan on a cookie sheet so that it's easier to lift from oven)

IMG_1331
Important: Cut a few holes in the oven bag.

IMG_1334
It's ready to go in!!

IMG_1336
Load up the bird into the oven the night before. Put it on around 10:30 pm if you need it for lunch the next day.

IMG_1337
Put it on at about 175 degrees. Low, low, low.

IMG_1340
In the morning, the house smells amazing!!
You'll know it's done when you check the pop-up thing that comes on turkeys.


Keep it warm until you need it.

IMG_1349
Drain off some of the broth with a cup. Then, Mom recommends that you put on some gloves and just de-bone the turkey and lay the pieces on a platter. Don't be afraid to get in there and pick it apart!


IMG_1351

Oh yum! Everyone loves it!!

1 responses. Leave a Comment!:

In This Wonderful Life said...

now that sounds yum and I'm not a big turkey person! The pic of your dad behind you and your mom cracks me up!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)