Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Tomato Stack Salad with Corn and Avocado

My current obsessions include: vine-ripe tomatoes, basil picked from my herb garden and fresh summer corn. I could eat these ingredients in some way every single day of the season. I can't get enough of it! So, when I saw this recipe in Cooking Light's latest magazine, I immediately tore it out and made it the next day for dinner.

It was just as delicious as it looks! Keith didn't even comment on how much he liked it because he devoured it without stopping to breathe. I served it with some broiled salmon, brushed with barbeque sauce.

IMG_3147

Tomato Stack Salad with Corn and Avocado

Ingredients:
  • 2 bacon slices, halved 
  • 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk (or combine regular milk and 1 tsp lemon juice, let sit for 5 minutes)
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
  • 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise 
  • 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
  • 2 ears shucked corn
  • Cooking spray 
  • 4 large tomatoes (I chose a variety of color)
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 ripe peeled avocado, thinly sliced
  • 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat the grill to high heat.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; cook 8 minutes or until crisp, tossing occasionally to curl. Drain bacon on paper towels,

Combine buttermilk and next 5 ingredients (through garlic), stirring with a whisk. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Coat corn with cooking spray. Place corn on grill rack; grill 8 minutes or until well marked, turning occasionally. Remove from grill; cool slightly. Cut corn kernels from cobs.

Sprinkle tomato slices evenly with salt. Alternate layers of tomato and avocado on each of 4 plates. Scatter corn evenly onto plates. Drizzle each tomato stack with about 1 1/2 tablespoons dressing and 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper over salads; top each salad with 1 bacon piece.


Enjoy!

5 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Laura Wyatt said...

this looks so delicious, kendall! thanks for sharing!

Holly said...

I had just tagged this in my CL magazine before reading your post. Can't wait to try it. Looks delicious!

Shari said...

We think alike! I just ripped this page out of my magazine. Can't wait to try it. :)

nearlyfarr said...

This is SO delicious! My husband had to snap a photo of it and post it to Facebook before eating, it was such beautiful presentation, lol. I will be making this over and over for the rest of corn and tomato season. Thank you!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)