Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Asparagus and Cheese Tart

Easter. It's in just a few days! Are you making anything? Mom and I are drooling over menu decisions! She's having a big family gathering and I'll be helping her with lots of cooking. The great thing about our extended family is that everyone pitches in! It's the norm for each woman to bring 2-3 dishes to every gathering. This means lots of amazing food and the big pressure is off the host to do it all!

I say all of that to say - here is a wonderful dish for Easter! Mom and I will be making again this weekend. And, I can't wait! This came from Food Network magazine and I tore that sucker out the second I saw it. It did not disappoint! I will say that grating all of that cheese by hand gave me a bit of a work out; believe it or not, my forearm was a little tender for a few days. Maybe that's a sign I need to get my butt back in the gym?

IMG_3831

Asparagus and Cheese Tart

Ingredients:
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (about 1/2 pound), thawed
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1 cup grated fontina cheese (about 3 ounces)
1 cup grated gruyere cheese (about 3 ounces)
1 Tbsp minced shallot
2 large egg yolks
3 Tbsp whole milk
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest

IMG_3834

Fill a large bowl with ice water. Bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a large skillet. Add the asparagus; cook until bright green and crisp-tender, 2 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Drain and transfer to the ice water to stop the cooking; drain and pat dry. 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. 

Roll out the puff pastry into a 10-by-16-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and prick all over with a fork. Bake until light golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool slightly on the baking sheet.

Meanwhile, mix the fontina, gruyere, shallot, egg yolks, milk, nutmeg and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a bowl until combined. Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the puff pastry, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Toss the asparagus with the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.

Arrange the asparagus on the tart and bake until the cheese mixture is slightly puffy, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the lemon zest. Serve warm or at room temperature.

IMG_3838

Enjoy!

1 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Shari said...

Looks fantastic Kendall! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)