Today, my husband jumped out of a plane. Can you believe it?
He has ALWAYS wanted to skydive. So, today he did. And so did 4 other crazy boys.....or so I thought they were crazy. After witnessing this stunt in person, I think I've changed my mind, because it looks pretty freakin' awesome.
Let's start from the beginning, shall we?
He has ALWAYS wanted to skydive. So, today he did. And so did 4 other crazy boys.....or so I thought they were crazy. After witnessing this stunt in person, I think I've changed my mind, because it looks pretty freakin' awesome.
Let's start from the beginning, shall we?
We drove to way-out-somewhere in Tennessee. This is the only place nearby you can jump, and they are the pros!
They must think they're funny having this hurst as a promo vehicle. Hilarious.
First, the boys had to watch an early-90s-style video about the dangers of skydiving. This was when I actually got a little nervous.
Then, waivers were handed out for them to sign.
Then, waivers were handed out for them to sign.
Sign your life away, boys. If something happens, you can't blame them!
Note: Up until now, I had not been the least bit worried about my husband's skydiving plans. But, everybody else we knew seemed to be. Folks were telling him he was out of his mind, etc. Most of the other guys jumping with him didn't even tell their family they had plans to do this today. Funny, huh?
I guess it is kind-of a big deal to jump out of a plane at 14,500+ feet. Big risk!
Note: Up until now, I had not been the least bit worried about my husband's skydiving plans. But, everybody else we knew seemed to be. Folks were telling him he was out of his mind, etc. Most of the other guys jumping with him didn't even tell their family they had plans to do this today. Funny, huh?
I guess it is kind-of a big deal to jump out of a plane at 14,500+ feet. Big risk!
Map of what they would be seeing from above.
Then the boys had a bit of training with Mark.
I liked Mark. I was no longer worried once Mark started talking in his Australian accent.
He has done over 5,000 jumps. I knew they were in good hands.
I liked Mark. I was no longer worried once Mark started talking in his Australian accent.
He has done over 5,000 jumps. I knew they were in good hands.
Next, Mark put them in the fake plan to show them what that would be like.

Mark demonstrates what the camera guy will be doing.
Note: I will never be a skydiving camera-woman clinging to the outside of a plane.
Nate poses well and he is ready to go.
Ladies, Nate is single.
I will gladly play Cupid when it comes to this sweet boy.
I digress.
Keith CAN NOT WAIT to jump for real.
Miles was born ready.
The 5 jumpers had to split up and take turns. First up, Nate, Sean and Miles. Aren't those suits cute?
Miles thinks so.
Danger.
Mmm, yes. I'd say so.
Mmm, yes. I'd say so.
All harnessed up!
This is the plane!!
In addition to the 3 tandem jumps (our friends), there were about 4 other guys jumping solo for fun, and 3 camera guys (one for each tandem).
Goodbye, plane.
Then, we stood in the drop zone area and waited until we spotted little dots of color coming down....
Then, we stood in the drop zone area and waited until we spotted little dots of color coming down....
It was amazing to watch from the ground. Just beautiful!
I have no idea who is who in this picture.
The landing looked scary at first. They come in so fast and slow down just in time to slide on their booties or gently land on their feet.
First 3 jumpers (Nate, Sean and Miles) are down safely and still high off the adrenaline rush!
It was right about now that I actually thought I wanted to do it with Keith and Clint (who were up next). Deep down I wanted to run up to the counter and say "sign me up!" But, I didn't think I was mentally prepared enough, and honestly was afraid of making everybody behind schedule for me to have to be trained. Silly me, I should have just done it right then and there.
It's okay. I promised Keith I would do it with him one day. And mark my words, I will.
Okay, time to prep for Keith and Clint:
It was right about now that I actually thought I wanted to do it with Keith and Clint (who were up next). Deep down I wanted to run up to the counter and say "sign me up!" But, I didn't think I was mentally prepared enough, and honestly was afraid of making everybody behind schedule for me to have to be trained. Silly me, I should have just done it right then and there.
It's okay. I promised Keith I would do it with him one day. And mark my words, I will.
Okay, time to prep for Keith and Clint:
Parachutes have to be re-packed. This takes a LONG time.
But, I was glad they were being particular about it.
But, I was glad they were being particular about it.
Clint is getting excited!
Keith is suited up and the goggles are quite attractive.
I wasn't worried, but I did get one good kiss before he went up :)
Up, up and away!
Ok, now I'm switching to photos taken by the camera guy assigned to Keith:
Keith and Mark.
Mark was his jump partner. I felt so safe about that!

The crew inside

At the door of the plane!

Mark: "Mate! Look up here! At the camera!"

"We're ready on 1, 2...."

".....3!!!"

Oh my.

Weeeeeeeeeeee!

Love this.

And this.

This makes me want to do it.

The view! Whoa!



He loves it!!!!

Time to pull the chute!

The jerk up.

Safely got the chute up!
Ok, now we're back to my pictures from the ground:

Clint coming down

Keith and Mark

Right over my head!

Safe and easy landing.

View from the camera jumper

Keith says, "I wanna go again!"


Clearly, Mark loves his job. And giving the thumbs up!

Happy best friends! So glad you got to do this together :)

I'm so proud!

Back in Memphis, the boys pose with their first flight certificates.
Way to go!
What do you think? Would you EVER do this!? After seeing it happen and the excitement they had afterward, I think I need to do this, too!
Mark was his jump partner. I felt so safe about that!

The crew inside

At the door of the plane!

Mark: "Mate! Look up here! At the camera!"

"We're ready on 1, 2...."

".....3!!!"

Oh my.

Weeeeeeeeeeee!

Love this.

And this.

This makes me want to do it.

The view! Whoa!



He loves it!!!!

Time to pull the chute!

The jerk up.

Safely got the chute up!
Ok, now we're back to my pictures from the ground:

Clint coming down

Keith and Mark

Right over my head!

Safe and easy landing.

View from the camera jumper

Keith says, "I wanna go again!"


Clearly, Mark loves his job. And giving the thumbs up!

Happy best friends! So glad you got to do this together :)

I'm so proud!

Back in Memphis, the boys pose with their first flight certificates.
Way to go!








































7 responses. Leave a Comment!:
Your hubby and friends are so brave! I wish I had the courage to do that!
insane!!!! my hubs wants to do that too!!! did they do it out in fayette county?
Ahhh that looks so fun! I'm way too scared to do that. Ha!
Ok definitely doing it now!!!! Even though I'll miss the whole doing it for my 26th birthday...
Test Comment
insane-the pictures alone my stomach jump. glad he they had fun-looked like fun guy bonding!
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)