I can't remember the last time I had a Ding Dong, or a Hostess product, really. It takes me back to grade school just thinking about Little Debbie's and Hostesses individually wrapped goodness. I don't buy that stuff anymore, but I do like baking things that are delicious! Everybody at the Super Bowl party and at my office said these cupcakes reminded them of Ding Dongs....so here's how I did it!
I could have baked from scratch, but what would be the point? Betty Crocker is good, my friends.
I make 24 Devil's Food cupcakes, as directed on the box. I let them cool completely.
This part is hard. Keith really wanted to eat one.
This part is hard. Keith really wanted to eat one.
I had bought 3 containers of the frosting pictured above. I always frost my cupcakes with more than one container will provide per one box of cake mix, so I bought extra so I could stuff AND put on top...
It worked out perfectly that I didn't even have to open the 3rd container.
Luckily, I have a piping contraption from Williams Sonoma (thank you Lindsey Ingram for the wedding gift!! I aspire to be as talented as you with icing!). AND it came with a piping tip made just for filling cupcakes. If you don't have one, you could fill a ziplock and cut a tiny corner and then make a hole in your cupcake with a wooden spoon end before filling it up.
But, seriously ladies, if you're into baking, just get one of those gadgets. You'll be glad. They're just annoying to clean out.
It worked out perfectly that I didn't even have to open the 3rd container.
Luckily, I have a piping contraption from Williams Sonoma (thank you Lindsey Ingram for the wedding gift!! I aspire to be as talented as you with icing!). AND it came with a piping tip made just for filling cupcakes. If you don't have one, you could fill a ziplock and cut a tiny corner and then make a hole in your cupcake with a wooden spoon end before filling it up.
But, seriously ladies, if you're into baking, just get one of those gadgets. You'll be glad. They're just annoying to clean out.
ANYWAY! Hold the piping bag over the cupcake and squeeze in about 1/2 a tablespoon. It's really hard to tell how much you've done! But, just be careful, you don't want to do too much or they'll start to break.
{Pause}
If you're doing ref cupcakes, I'd recommend getting your supplies ready now:
{Pause}
If you're doing ref cupcakes, I'd recommend getting your supplies ready now:
Cut strings off of the whistles
Print out black and white stripes on paper and cut into strips. I measured the first one and used it as a template for cutting the rest.
I wrapped the cupcakes with the paper first, then iced, then set the whistle on top....
And because they were so yummy and gone before I knew it, I didn't get a picture of one halved. This is an image from Betty Crocker, but mine looked the same on the inside!














3 responses. Leave a Comment!:
Omigosh, YUM. I'll have an order of those next trip to Marion, please! ;) hehe..
Oh my the kids will love these.. I must try.. you are so crafty..
Oh my goodness, these are so cute!
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)