Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Rocky Mountain Potato Chowder

My, oh my. I've realized that I'm terribly behind on posting recipes. I've got a stockpile of about 5 or 6 that I've been meaning to post. I was certain I had posted some of these already, but I must have dreamed about it.

Yes, I have dreams about my blog to-do list. Don't make fun.

Anyway, I made a deeeeelicous soup on Christmas day for my family. It's called Rocky Mountain Potato Chowder. My mom has been making this for years, and now it's something I make every winter. She doesn't remember where she found the recipe, but we've altered it so much that, by now, it hardly matters.

Rocky Mountain Potato Chowder
click here for printer-friendly version

1 bunch sliced green onions (separate white and green)
1 cup sliced carrot
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 can of corn, drained
.5 lb of deli turkey, sliced
2 packages of pre-cooked chicken (or cook and chop your own)
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs (3-4) Colorado potatoes
Bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups milk
2 tbsp cornstarch
Thyme, salt and pepper

IMG_2250

For Christmas, I got a big ole Le Creuset pot. A real big'un. Perfect for a vat of soup like this.

To make it easy on yourself, prep everything first!

IMG_2251
Zucchini!

IMG_2252
The green onions, separated, of course


IMG_2253
Chopped red bell pepper


IMG_2254
Cut up deli turkey


IMG_2255
Cut up 2 packages of that pre-cooked chicken


IMG_2256
Sliced carrot


IMG_2261
Cook a bunch of slices of bacon, how ever many you like


IMG_2276
Crumble it up!


IMG_2248

Put it all together. It's time to get started!!


IMG_2257
Over medium heat, brown the light green onions



IMG_2258
Measure out 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, place in pot and heat.


IMG_2260
Add in the peeled, chopped potatoes


Cover this and cook 15 minutes


IMG_2263
Add carrots, cook 5 minutes


IMG_2264
Add pepper, zucchini and corn


IMG_2267
And add the thyme


IMG_2268
Stir it up! Give it a few more minutes


IMG_2270
Add turkey, chicken and onion tops


IMG_2271
Stir that up


IMG_2273
Mix cornstarch and milk separately


IMG_2274
Add that to the pot.

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.


You're almost done. Relax. This isn't meant to be complicated.


IMG_2277

Reduce the heat.
Last thing you add is your crumbled up bacon and as much salt or pepper as it needs.




Enjoy!!! It's just wonderful!

0 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)