Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Liberty Burrrrr

On Saturday, we went to the Liberty Bowl to see the Arkansas Razorbacks play East Carolina University. Iiiiiit waaaaaaas coooooooooold.

I had never been to a bowl game and was thrilled when we found out Arkansas was coming to Memphis. How convenient for us Joneses!

IMG_2428

Inconvenient part: below freezing temps.

We knew it'd be a cold game, so we went prepared. We weren't going to miss this game for no stinkin' weather! My Mom and Dad came in town, and we just made a weekend of it. Unfortunately, they were in different seats.

Anyway, here are some of the pictures I took. I took a lot more in the beginning because I could feel my hands then :)



Before kick-off, they dropped 2 paratroopers out of a plane. They glided all the way down to the field!

IMG_2405


IMG_2409
They had this weird green smoke coming out of something strapped to their feet.

IMG_2413
I was so impressed by this. I think it's amazing!

IMG_2415
Perfect landing by guy #1.

IMG_2421
Great landing by guy #2. He had the game ball in his hands. Cool!
They said that he had done over 1,600 jumps. Whaaaat!?


IMG_2426
We quickly sacrificed fashion for warmth and bundled up and covered our ears and hands to stay warm! I'm not kidding y'all, it was one of the coldest experiences I've had (second to a snowmobile trip blizzard disaster when I was a teenager. I won't go into that now). Point is - it was FRIGID.

Which is why the halftime show baffled me:

IMG_2432
Eddie Money performed (yeah I didn't know who that was either, til he sang "take me home tonight", classic!). That wasn't the weird part:

WHY oh WHY are there a ton of junior cheerleaders wearing shorts and t-shirts!?!?! Those poor youngsters. Who was in charge of such craziness? Put some clothes on those arms and legs!

Even more bizarre: the group of teenage girls in white gowns behind the stage. They had nothing on their arms. I don't remember who they were or why they were there but I felt SO sorry for them. I was extremely cold all bundled up; can't imagine how they felt! Everybody in the stands was talking about it.




IMG_2429
I got so cold I finally just covered everything but my eyes. I marched in place, jumped around, bobbed in my seat, flapped my arms.

I hope I wasn't on TV at any point.

I looked like a flailing bird.
But, my antics worked.

And the intensity of the game and the overtime made it all worth it. I was not even about to consider leaving my pigs. ALL of it was worth it for the win. And, I'm even proud of myself for not complaining very much at all. Keith has said many times that I was a 'trooper.'

I'm always proud to earn that distinguishment from my hubs :)


Go Hogs! We're already looking forward to a good season next year....

2 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Claire said...

Unfortunately I interned for the liberty bowl and they do the SAME thing every year at half time... those girls in white were high school homecoming queens from across the country that actually pay to come do that half-time show. and the cheerleaders are from... well I can't remember.

Becky said...

Kendall, I was laughing out loud by the time I finished this post. Honey, I do believe you were cold!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)