Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Coco Lopez Cake

This cake takes me to my happy place.

IMG_2757


It's Coco Lopez Cake and my Grandma Bobo has been making it for as long as I can remember. It's my favorite thing she makes. And it's hard for me to pick favorites. 

It's so simple and easy, and the flavor can't be beat. Grandma says, and I'm starting to agree with her, "I've never met a person that didn't LOVE this cake."

SO, you wanna know how to make it?


IMG_2685
Here's what you need. Most of it are things I typically have on hand.
Please note: You must buy the Coco Lopez brand of cream of coconut. It's the only way to go. You can find it in the drink mixes section of the grocery store (you know, by the bloody marry mix and margarita mixers).


  • 1 box Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 8 oz sour cream
  • 1 large can of Coco Lopez (about 15 oz)
  • Nonstick spray and flour for the bundt pan

Icing:
  • 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1/2 tsp coconut extract
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • lump of softened butter
  • 1 1/2 tbsp milk

IMG_2689
Start with a well-greased bundt

IMG_2690
Drop some flour into it

IMG_2692
Shake it around to coat, and dump out excess




IMG_2694
Combine the 3 eggs, 1/4 cup oil...

IMG_2696
8 oz sour cream



IMG_2697
Can of Coco Lopez

IMG_2699
And the white cake mix



IMG_2702
Get your mixer out and mix for about 3 minutes



IMG_2704
You want it nice and smooth like this!

IMG_2705
Pour into the bundt



IMG_2707

IMG_2709
Put in the oven at 350




Let it bake for about 45 minutes. You can test with a toothpick.



IMG_2743
Admire the beauty


Let it cool a bit before removing



IMG_2744
Dump it over onto a cake plate, carefully.

Next:
Realize that you didn't use enough Pam and flour around the center.
Realize that your cake isn't perfect.

Realize that it doesn't matter.



IMG_2746
Oops!



IMG_2745
It will still taste delicious. Even if it is damaged.



Let the cake cool completely before icing

IMG_2748
Gather all the icing ingredients

IMG_2749
Soften a lump of butter in the microwave

IMG_2750
Add 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar



IMG_2752
Add the extracts and milk



IMG_2754
Stir until smooth



IMG_2756
Drizzle your imperfect cake in an imperfect pattern.



Admire. Smell it. Yum!

IMG_2759

In the summer, this is AWESOME with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
It's so moist and delish! 

And, as my Grandma says on the back of my recipe card:
"The longer it's around, the more moist it gets and it just gets better!" 

And hey, what about a better pic? Here's another view from another time I made it!

photo

3 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Kristen {a little ditty} said...

Ooh, that looks really good! I like all the step by step pictures too. Now I just need to get a bundt pan so I can make this!

Claire said...

Yum, that looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

I have made this cake several times now- my family and I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)