I'm on a salad kick. I'm feelin' motivated. I blame my current weight and my motivational step aerobics class for this new-found zest for healthy, light foods.
I need more healthy meals in my life and less german chocolate cake, strawberry banana bread, or {heaven help me} ding dong style cupcakes. Sorry ya'll! I have been told I'm causing weight gain among my blog readers due to the yummy recipes I've been posting. I can't help! I LOVE to bake. LOVE it.
So, between now and June* somebody slap me if I post a dessert recipe that's not considered 'light' or a casserole a la Paula Deen style. Now, don't be confused, I'm not on a diet, because I hate that word and that idea. I'm just going to *try* to make some better-for-us meals. Oh, and working my tooshy off at this one-hour, intense workout class that I've been trying to attend 3 times a week ought to help, too. Oh, and I've never really worked out before in my life, so this is a first. I'm quite proud of myself.
*headed to the beach in June with a bunch of skinny chicks. after that, some evil desserts may be allowed back on the blog.
Ok, enough of that. On to the recipe!
Salsa Chicken Salad
(from MixingBowl.com magazine, with my adjustments)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
4 (1/4 lb) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (note: I just used 2 large chicken breasts)
1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp olive oil
4 cup mixed salad greens
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
4 (1/4 lb) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (note: I just used 2 large chicken breasts)
1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp olive oil
4 cup mixed salad greens
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
First, make the dressing in a food processor or blender:
the salsa, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, balsamic, mustard and salt goes in.
Hello, food processor. I think it's been a while!
Pulse, pulse, pulse it up!
There's your dressing folks, and it's yummy.
Next, season both sides of the chicken with the Cajun seasoning.
Preheat a nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add the olive oil and tilt pan to coat.
Add the chicken breasts. Let them cook 4-6 minutes on each side.
While this is cooking, now is a good time to prepare the salad:
-seed and thinly slice both the yellow and red pepper
-chop the tomato
-slice and chop the avocado (this is such a great part of the salad! trust me! I know people think it's flavorless, but it's really good)
Add these over your mixed greens
So colorful!
After the chicken is done, move to a cutting board and slice.
I now realize that this picture looks a little savage.
Add the chicken and the dressing to your salad and you're ready to eat!
This was really good, just bursting with fresh flavors! The recipe said it would make 4, but I ended up with 2 large salads that were perfect for a meal. I'll make this again! It would be a great side salad to go along with a summer meal or something Mexican, even if you didn't add the chicken.







2 responses. Leave a Comment!:
yum, trying this on Friday! I am reading your blog post here and it is word for word.. (even the skinny chick part) about how I am feeling. Glad I found your blog!
This sounds great, I am going to try it soon! You should try out the asian chicken salad recipe I posted yesterday. It was so easy, healthy, & delish! http://hannahkhowe.blogspot.com/2011/04/asian-chicken-salad.html
Hope you are doing well!
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)