Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Steak Stir Fry

Here's a good Southern Living recipe that we've made quite a few times since we got married. You can make it with steak or chicken (we've done both), and you could switch up the veggies based on what you have....
IMG_2954

Here's the recipe!


IMG_2914
The ingredients

IMG_2916
We chose steak for our version this week

Steak or Chicken Stir Fry

Ingredients:
3/4 cup beef broth
1/4 cup lite soy sauce
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 1/4 lb boneless top sirloin steak
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 large green bell pepper
1 large red bell pepper
1 large onion
1 8 oz can sliced water chesnuts, drained
4 green onions
Hot cooked rice or noodles



IMG_2917
You also need a wok!
If you don't have one, don't fret. Just use a big skillet....and consider adding a wok to your kitchen :)


IMG_2918
First, prepare everything before you get started.

IMG_2919
Cut up the onion and red and green pepper into strips


IMG_2926
 Cut up 4 green onions and drain the water chesnuts

IMG_2928
In a separate container, measure 3/4 cup beef broth

IMG_2929
Add 1/4 cup soy sauce

IMG_2932
Then add 1 Tbsp cornstarch

IMG_2933
Whisk this together, and set aside.

IMG_2921
Preheat the wok on medium high heat. Add the 1/4 cup oil around the edges.

IMG_2922
Once the oil is hot, add:
1 garlic clove minced, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper


IMG_2923
Stir fry for one minute

IMG_2924
Then add the steak, cut into slices

IMG_2934
Stir fry 2 minutes or until no longer pink

IMG_2935
On a plate with some paper towels, set the steak strips aside

IMG_2938
Now add the red and green peppers and the onion

IMG_2940
Stir fry that for about 5 minutes or until they are crisp tender. In my book, that means you are going to have to taste test one!

IMG_2945
Add the water chesnuts, green onions, and the steak back in

IMG_2947
Whisk the broth again before adding it in. The cornstarch tends to settle at the botom.


IMG_2952
Stir fry for about 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens up a bit. Sometimes I add more cornstarch if it feels to thin.


IMG_2939
Now, I really like to serve this over rice, but Keith LOOOOVES these Teriyaki Noodles, and they are really easy to whip up.


IMG_2953
For starters, I made a little salad. 
Bag of veggie salad mix, wontons and mini tomatoes. Yum!

IMG_2956


Scrumptious!

1 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Kristen {a little ditty} said...

This looks so good! I like how your recipes seem like things I can actually make and I don't need to be a gourmet cook to try them, I'll have to let you know how this turns out when I make it :) Thanks for the great dinner ideas!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)