Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Napa Vacation Planning & Wine Friday: Meritage

Happy Good Friday! I have today off. Yipeeeeee! I am doing exciting things such as laundry and cleaning. I plan to treat myself to a manicure this afternoon :)

wine fridays



Perhaps what I am most excited about is that I just booked our trip to NAPA! We are headed to wine country in early June with another couple and I am just beside myself with excitement. I have been researching, pinning and dreaming of all the wonderful things we'll do. I know some of you out there have been or live in the area, so I'm all about getting great advice from others! Here are a few things I've got on our list:


We're staying at the Embassy Suites Napa Valley. Embassy is my main client at work, and I love this brand, so of course we'll be staying there! They've just had a renovation, so it will be even better. Plus, free cooked to order breakfast and nightly cocktails don't hurt, either!

There are lots of vineyards on our list, and we plan to do a little bit more research before making our tasting appointments, but here are a few I've heard great things about:











 The food is going to fabulous!! There are tons of great restaurants, and lots of great grocery stores and markets. We plan to do a nice dinner at a 'fancier' place and then more casual the rest of the time.


 I really want to eat at Celadon!


Perhaps lunch at Mustards


Maybe we'll assemble a picnic lunch for ourselves at the Oakville Grocery

Morimoto has a place in Napa. That would definitely be good!

My dream list goes on and on, but I'd love to hear from anyone that's been if there is a "must-do" that should be added to our list!

Speaking of wine, here is a great Meritage I've been enjoying recently. I usually only buy one bottle of any kind of wine, but this is one I like to keep several of in stock.
Lock and Key North Coast Meritage

Year: 2009

Origin: California

Average Price: $10
About the wine: Lock and Key is a true Meritage blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Merlot and 3% Cabernet Franc. Spicy and supple, this North Coast red is an amazing value. Grapes are sourced from some of the best vineyards in Sonoma and Lake counties, the grapes are vinified separately, cold -soaked for rich extraction and French oak aged. You're going to love this ripe red that tastes like it should cost double. 

Happy Easter Weekend! :)

4 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kendall,

Happy Easter! I have never been to Napa Valley, but like you have always wanted to go. When I was an event planner for the Detroit Athletic Club, I planned many wine dinners and have been fortunate to try several great wines from Napa Valley wineries.

When I read your post, I wanted to suggest a few wineries to you. I am not sure if any of them have tastings, but they are DEFINITELY worth looking into.

First, I would check out Palmaz Vineyards. It was started by the Palmaz family. One family member was actually a heart surgeon that created the heart stent that saves lives so that is cool too. The way the winery is built- underground and on a huge hillside- is amazing as well. They are known for their Cabernet Sauvignon, but have numerous other great wines as well.

Secondly, I would suggest Hoopes/Liparita Vineyards. It was started by Spencer Hoopes and I remember their wines being big and bold. A definitely stop on your trip!

I really hope you, your husband, and friends have a fabulous time on the trip. Can't wait to read the blog post about how it went!

Katie A

Cristina said...

Hey Kendall!

I don't blog, so you don't know me. But my BFF is the lovely Miss Short & Sweet, so she got me hooked on your blog a long time ago! I'm sure you've been emailing with her about places to go, but since I'm a huge Napa lover thought I'd give you some tips as well!

Castello di Amorosa is just such a sight to see. Their wine is great too, but the experience of walking through the Castle is a must do!

Then right near by Castello is Sterling Vineyards. The cool thing about this winery is that you take a gondola ride up the mountain to get to the Winery, so you get some amazing views of the Wine Country!

Cakebread wine is so amazing! Their wine tasting is by appointment only, so make sure to have one if you plan to go there!

You should definitely reserve a town car for the day, so they can drive you around to all your stops and no one has to drive. =)You sound like you've done great research and you'll have a great time!

One last thing, if you are in the mood for Italian one day/night...Oenotri downtown is fantastic!

Have fun!!

Kristen {a little ditty} said...

Saw your pins and was wondering if you had a trip planned! How fun, I've always wanted to go there. You'll have to let us know how the trip is!!

Unknown said...

Hey!

I love your blog and we love Napa. My husband and I are from Central CA and head up north once or twice a year. Celadon is delicious, you'll love!
Two recommendations:
1) Sterling Vineyards. This is a great place. You get to take a gondola up the mountain to their walking tasting room. The views are amazing, can't miss.

2) V. Sattui Winery. This is a great place to have a picnic/lunch. They have a few tasting rooms and a huge market/deli. The cheeses are amazing. My husband and I always run in and grab a basket full of our favorite cheeses, crackers, olives, etc and sit on the grass and enjoy a bottle of wine.

Let me know if you need any more recommendations!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)