Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Baja Fish Tacos

When it comes to kitchen and cooking-related items, I'm somewhat of an addict. I've confessed my recipe addiction here once before. I am a sucker for kitchen gadgets and tools, I love serving and table setting pieces, but I have a real weakness for gourmet food products. Any time I'm in a gift shop, cooking store or something like a Williams-Sonoma, I can't help but want to taste (and buy) every sauce, salsa and spice in sight. I love jars of jams, relishes, oils and dips. The packaging also has a lot to do with which items I gravitate towards. I wish I had a gigantic pantry that I could fill with all kinds of special food items.

My problem, in addition to buying too much of this stuff, is that I don't always use it. Something in my subconscious is saving these things for a special occasion or for entertaining. I've thrown away many a gourmet food item because I let it go bad. I once bought a delicious artisan-made chocolate bar in Dallas that was made to pair really well with wine (believe it or not, it was called like Chocolate Fungi and had mushrooms in it). I kept it in the pantry thinking about how I needed to make a night of it and have a little chocolate and wine tasting session, and I never did. And it spoiled. So, recently I've made a commitment to using the dang stuff! What am I waiting on? I buy these tasty goodies because someone else has gone to the trouble to make them, and they make my life easier. So, no more waiting until a special occasion. Time to use the loot! I can always buy more :)

43

Here's a sauce I purchased at a cute pantry shop in downtown Hot Springs, Arkansas - Mango Tequila Jalapeno Grilling and Dipping Sauce. The brand is Earth and Vine Provisions and it's sold in many places. It can also be ordered from their website. It's currently on sale, too - bonus!
When I purchased the sauce, there was a free recipe card next to it for Baja Fish Tacos using this signature sauce. I recently gave them a try. We loved it so much, I've made it twice since and my bottle of sauce is delightfully half-way empty :)


photo

Baja Fish Tacos

2 cups shredded cabbage (I buy a mixed bag of slaw)
½ lb white flaky fish, such as halibut, orange roughy or catfish (I've used tilapia, too)
1 ripe avocado, sliced

6 small or 4 medium-sized corn tortillas
Mango Tequila Jalapeno Grilling and Dipping sauce by Earth and Vine Provisions*
1 Tablespoon oil
2 limes, cut into 4 wedges each
Hot Sauce (I have Mango hot sauce that pairs perfectly with this!)

Chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, heat the tortillas individually until they become a little toasty. Set aside.

Heat oil over medium heat. Cook fish until fish becomes flaky. Season with salt and pepper and remove skillet from heat.  Place warm tortillas on plates and fill each with shredded cabbage and fish. Top with slices of avocado and drizzle with Mango Tequila Jalapeno Grilling and Dipping Sauce and top with hot sauce to taste. Garnish with some chopped cilantro and serve.

*If you don't have, or don't want to purchase, the Earth and Vine sauce mentioned above, you could use any sauce that has a mango flavor, or a salsa.






So, do you have an addition to this stuff like me!? Do tell.

0 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)