Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

You Can Wear It Again!

So, I've had this post ready-to-go for a while, but I had to wait until Meredith had asked all of her bridesmaids, so I wouldn't ruin the surprise!
While I was in Destin for my girls trip, my friend Meredith, who recently got engaged, asked us girls to be bridesmaids in her wedding next summer! Yay!

I am a big fan of creatively asking your bridal party to share in the big day, so I loved what she did:

IMG_6788

We opened up wrapped presents. And inside was a cute little book.

IMG_7175


IMG_7177

So sweet! And so funny!
I'm almost certain that every bride says about her bridesmaids' dresses that "You can wear it again!" I know I did!

IMG_6795

We had a good laugh flipping through the book.

IMG_7178

IMG_7180

I quickly realized that there was a MAJOR hat trend among bridesmaids.

IMG_7179

It lasted decades.

In a matter of seconds, I was dressed for the part!

IMG_6796

Floppy beach hat? Check. Tacky ivy plant off the coffee table? Check. I'm ready to go, Mere!


Want to see some more dresses/train wrecks from the book?


IMG_7183

Who is the bride in that one?


IMG_7184

Wings? There are no words.

IMG_7185

Check out those head pieces! Gag!

IMG_7186

Haha! I love this! The bride is regretting everything about this picture now, I'm sure. The bridesmaid has on the classic dyed satin shoes to match. Glad that trend is over!

IMG_7187

And this. Bless those gal's hearts. At the time, they didn't realize how ugly the 80s were. Not sure what is worse- the red dresses or the baby's breath bouquets?!



After looking through this hilarious and awesome book, I couldn't help but wonder what I'll be able to say about the bridesmaid dresses I've worn. In all honesty, I think these will stand the test of time. They're classic! But, only time will tell :)

Here a few pics from the weddings I've had the honor to be in:

kelsey3

First: Kelsey and Mat Hency's Wedding. May 2008.
Simple sapphire blue strapless dresses, with pockets!

How she asked us: A package arrived on our doorsteps with this blue dress and an invitation to be a part of the wedding! She guessed our sizes and did a great job! It was a fun package to open :)

kelsey

Prom pose! I love this pic.

kelsey2

It really is a dress you can wear again! And I have!



bekah

Next up: Bekah and Dallas Hopper's Wedding. June 2008. 

Prom pose strikes again!

These dresses were called 'cornflower' blue I think. They were simple, strapless, floor length dresses with a gathered waist. I think we happened to look so lovely!

How she asked us: Bekah crafted a beautiful poem and mailed us the pretty printed cards extending the invitation. Even though her wedding was after Kelsey's, she was the first bride to ask me to be a bridesmaid; I was so excited!


stacia

Stacia and Chris Petrancosta. December 2008

('08 was a really busy year, huh!?)

It was a winter-time, military wedding and the navy was perfect! These were beautiful and  comfortable. I'm pretty certain I've worn this one again, too.

How she asked us: The Christmas before her wedding, we were all gathered for dinner and catching up one night when she gave us all wrapped presents that we opened at the same time. They were snowflake ornaments with a card attached asking if we'd be her bridesmaids. I love having that ornament on my tree each year!


jeni

Jeni and Sam Sackett. August 2009.

I thought Jeni's bright and fun dresses went so well with her personality. Everybody looked so beautiful that day!! I really liked the way this dress fit, and with the built-in band of color.

How she asked us: Jeni's crafty sister-in-law handmade (yep, handmade) a card with a dress embellishment on the front asking me to be her Matron of Honor! It was so precious and I keep it in a special spot!


IMG_0555

Lauren and Lee Strother. October 2009.

These dresses are my personal favorite. Probably because I have worn it like two or three times since the wedding. Lauren didn't go to your typical bridal shop for these; they are Alice+Olivia dresses that she ordered through a local boutique.

How she asked us: Lauren has always had the nickname, 'Lolly.' So, she printed custom round labels and put them on big, colorful lollipops that said "will you be my bridesmaid? -lolly". I still have mine!

IMG_0534

All of the fall colors were so pretty!!


Have you noticed that I've worn a version of blue in every single wedding but Jeni's? Crazy!
Now, I wasn't a bridesmaid in this last wedding, I was the bride!

kkretouched0047

Kendall and Keith Jones. June 2008.

I may be biased, but I loved these dresses. Our wedding was a formal, evening wedding, so I wanted something that looked dressy. The girls told me that the style flattered everyone, and it was true!

How I asked them: I had invitations printed with a poem and then assembled little gift bags for each of them. It had a small picture framed of just the two of us and I hand-delivered them to each girl. It was so much fun asking!

kkretouched0196

I loved the sweetheart neckline and gathering. 

And the color. The color did it for me. They were a peachy, tangerine color. We knew we wanted to incorporate orange somewhere into the wedding to honor my brother, and these were the perfect way.

kkretouched0161

I loved the way they looked in the back!

Jessica said she was able to wear this again to a formal charity event, and got lots of compliments. That made me happy, because when I picked them out I kind-of doubted the girls would be able to wear them again.



Anyway, I'm thrilled about being a bridesmaid next summer for Meredith. I can't wait to see what she picks out and what I'll be adding to my fabulous collection of dresses (and memories).
IMG_6798

Can't wait!

8 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Meredith Pettigrew said...

Love the post! And don't worry, your dress what be a shade of blue :)

Jamie said...

What a fun way to ask the bridesmaids :) I loved looking back at all the weddings you were in!

Kristen {a little ditty} said...

How sweet! All of your dresses have been really nice! And you Southern gals sure do it up big, 10 bridesmaids!! I love the back of your dresses too, very elegant.

Shannan Martin said...

I have been in umpteen weddings and have always just been asked. Just - asked. Man, I had no idea what I was missing! We must be an unimaginative bunch over this way, because I did the same darned thing when it was my turn. Hmph. ;)

B said...

That is so neat! You've been in lots of weddings :)

Lauren Strother said...

Love it when i make the blog! :) I hate that we are going to miss each other this weekend.

Love ya!

Kendall Jones said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments, girls! Little Ditty & Flower Patch, we do thins big in the South! :)

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute way to ask bridesmaids! And what horrible dresses from the book. Your dresses are adorable though. I love the A+O dress you wore...

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)