Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Crespelles with Asparagus, Goat Cheese and Mushrooms

I love the weekends.

It gives me time for "me."
Date at home with the hubs, lunch with a sweet friend, work in the yard, shop by myself, and spend hours cooking something I wouldn't normally attempt on a weeknight. Ahh, the joys of weekends!

Sunday, Keith's family came over for brunch/lunch.

IMG_5000

It was just lovely.

IMG_5001

We had fresh fruit and crespelles, or crepes.

IMG_5002

This is another recipe I got from being at my sister and brother-in-law's house. I should be their cooking understudy. I'd leave with so much knowledge!

Crespelles with Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Mushrooms
(credit: Williams-Sonoma Pasta cookbook)

Click here for printer-friendly version

IMG_4981

Ingredients for Crespelle batter:
1 cup flour
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
3 Tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
grated zest of one lemon

IMG_4985

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender.

Let sit 30 minutes.

IMG_4988

Ingredients for the rest of the meal:
Extra virgin olive oil
2 lb thick asparagus spears
Salt and fresh ground pepper
Grated zest of one lemon
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup dry vermouth
1 1/2 cups goat cheese
Large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (I didn't have fresh and we lived)
Large handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsley chopped
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp truffle oil (not totally necessary, the stuff is pricey!)

IMG_4991

While the crespelle batter was sitting, I prepared all other ingredients for cooking. This involved making a huge mess of the asparagus, getting them trimmed and peeled of rough parts!

IMG_4990

Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste and the zest of one lemon. Place in oven at 425 for 15 minutes, or until tender when tested with a fork.

As soon as I put those in the oven, I made the crespelles:

IMG_4993

In my smallest pan (8 inches), I heated a heaping teaspoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir the oil around to coat. Pour about 3 Tbsp batter into pan and rotate pan to allow it spread to the edges. Once the edges start to brown, flip it over. This is very similar to cooking an omelet. Use those flipping skills! Add a little bit of olive oil before each crepe, just a bit!

It took about 1.5 minutes for each crepe. This recipe made a total of 10 crepes for me using the 8 inch pan.


IMG_4992

This was the first one I did. The rest were better, but I got distracted so the pictures from this point on are lacking!

Once all the crepes are done, and the asparagus has likely come out of the oven by now, you are going to cook the mushrooms.

In a frying pan over medium heat, warm 3 Tbsp olive oil. Add garlic, mushrooms and salt & pepper to taste. Saute until mushrooms are tender and just starting to give off liquid, about 5 minutes.
Add vermouth and boil until almost evaporated.

In a mixing bowl, combine goat cheese, nutmeg, half of the parsley, 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese. Season with salt & pepper. Add in the mushrooms when they are ready. Mix together well.

Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish. Spread the cheese mixture into crepe and place 4-5 asparagus spears in center, roll crepe and place seam-side-down in the dish. You should be able to fit all your crepes into the baking dish nicely.

IMG_4996

Next, pour the heavy cream over the top and sprinkle with remaining grated Parmesan cheese.

Place in oven (425), bake until bubbling, about 15 minutes.

IMG_4998

Drizzle with truffle oil (omg, delicious) and sprinkle with remaining parsley.


Okay, okay, I know that recipe seems complicated and there are a handful of ingredients that you're not likely to keep on hand. But, TRUST ME, friends, this one is worth the extra effort. It is outstanding!

I told Keith I felt like it was one of the best things I've ever made. He agrees :)


What did you enjoy most about your weekend?

5 responses. Leave a Comment!:

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

I'm so glad you posted the recipe! I definitely will be making these soon - they look well worth the effort! Fresh asparagus is just coming into season here in Michigan, so this will be perfect.

Kristen {a little ditty} said...

Went to leave a comment and just noticed my sister beat me to it! Haha, apparently we like the same kind of food!! Your food posts always look so good! I'm excited to try this one...little nervous about my "flipping skills" but hopefully I can do it!

Kendall Jones said...

Sisters, I love both of your blogs! I SO think we'd be BFFs if we knew each other in real life :) The craftiness, cooking, and advertising, it's insane really!

B said...

I don't think I could even begin to make this. Good for you! Pure talent. :)

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

LOL, for sure! We all do have lots in common!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)