Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Panko-Crusted Chicken Drumsticks and Roasted Potato Salad

Goodness gracious. This may be one of the best recipes I've made all summer. Or, all year. Either way, it blew our minds. SO GOOD.

Eating light doesn't have to mean eating boring foods. Cooking Light is my favorite resource, and the September issue is packed with recipes I could not wait to try. Last week, I tried 3 and I bookmarked at least 20 more to make soon. But, I'd be surprised if we topped this. 

These chicken drummies are so tender and full of flavor. I am anti deep-frying at home, so this oven-fried version is perfect.  I followed the recipe to a T and wouldn't change a darn thing. In fact, it's such an easy recipe that CL magazine had this in their kid's column! 

I also served it with another Cooking Light recipe for roasted potato salad. It's German-style with a mustard dressing, which is fab. I haven't been crazy about any of the homemade potato salad recipes I've tried, so this solves that problem once and for all. 

I really hope you'll try both of these recipes! This will be our new favorite not-so-guilty pleasure.


Panko-Crusted Chicken Drumsticks and Roasted Potato Salad

Panko-Crusted Chicken Drumsticks
(click here for printer-friendly version)

Ingredients:
  • 8 chicken drumsticks, skinned
  • 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons grated onion 
  • 1 tablespoon grated garlic
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
  • 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise 
  • 2 tablespoons plain fat-free Greek yogurt 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard 
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  1. Using a paring knife, cut 3 slits in the meatiest portion of each drumstick. Place buttermilk, onion, garlic, and drumsticks in a large zip-top plastic bag; refrigerate 1 hour.
  2. Preheat oven to 425°.
  3. Place a rack on a jelly-roll pan; coat the rack with cooking spray. Remove the drumsticks from the bag; discard the marinade. Sprinkle the drumsticks with pepper and salt. Combine panko, cheese, and chives in a shallow dish. Dredge each drumstick in panko mixture. Arrange drumsticks in a single layer on the rack; coat drumsticks lightly with cooking spray. Bake drumsticks at 425° for 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
  4. Combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Serve sauce with chicken.
Next time, I don't think I'll make the mustard dipping sauce. It was delish, but the chicken doesn't need it, in my opinion.

source: cooking light

Roasted Potato Salad
(click here for printer-friendly version)

Ingredients:
  • 3 pounds small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 bacon slices (uncooked), chopped 
  • 2 cups diced Vidalia or other sweet onion (about 2 medium)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise 
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  1. Preheat oven to 400°.
  2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; toss to coat. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring once. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
  3. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan; set bacon aside. Add onion to drippings in pan; cook 15 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized, stirring frequently. Add garlic to pan; cook 30 seconds. Add onion mixture and bacon to potatoes; toss gently. Let stand 15 minutes.
  4. Combine mustard, mayonnaise, honey, and vinegar in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add mustard mixture and parsley to potato mixture; toss gently.
 
source: cooking light 
Enjoy!!

0 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)