Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Mexican Shrimp Bisque

Happy Halloween!! This post has nothing to do with Halloween, but it's a quick, tasty recipe that I think you'll like. Keith loves bisque soups and almost always orders one if it's on the menu at a restaurant. I stumbled upon this recipe from a daily email from Taste of Home and it sounded right up his alley. After reading the reviews, I made a few modifications. It was so yummy!

I served it with a simple greens salad, but cheese quesadillas would be delish, too!


picstitch
{can you tell I've been busy/in a hurry and my pics are from my iPhone? hey, at least i'm tryin'!!}

Mexican Shrimp Bisque

Ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped 
2 tablespoons olive oil 
3 garlic cloves, minced 
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
2 cup water  
1 cup heavy whipping cream 
4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules 
1 tablespoon chili powder 
1 teaspoon ground cumin 
1 teaspoon ground coriander 
1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (thaw, if frozen)
1 cup sour cream 
Chopped fresh cilantro and sliced avocado

In a small saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.  

Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces if desired; add shrimp to soup. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Place sour cream in a small bowl; gradually stir in 3/4 cup hot soup. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Top with cilantro and avocado.



Enjoy!!

2 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Shari said...

This looks amazing! :)

Colleen Sullivan said...

Looks great! Sounds like a flavor combo made in Heaven!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)