Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

My New Customized Recipe Binders!

Oh Em Geee. I am so excited to share this with you guys! The inner OCD person in me is jumping up and down. I have some awesome new recipe binders!
I have confessed my obsession with recipes, cooking magazines and cookbooks before (in this post). And that was all before Pinterest! Needless to say, my trusty red leather C.R. Gibson binders were maxed out. I had 3 and they were overflowing. I couldn't fit anything into the rings anymore and got tired of carrying it anywhere; it was way too heavy. As a result, my recipes became more unorganized.

I researched several options for kitchen binders and settled on doing a custom order through Zazzle.com, and I knew that once I found what I liked I would order a lot. I wanted plenty of room for my current collection and room to grow. After researching lots of designs and Zazzle shops, I stumbled upon Dulce Dahlia designs and knew this would be a perfect fit. I liked her chevron and quatrefoil designs and could tell from her other work that she 'got' it. I emailed Sarah to inquire about a custom order last Sunday (8 days ago). She wrote me back immediately and by the end of the day, she had created custom designs for me (with options)! I loved her responsiveness and that she accommodated my requests so easily. I placed my order on Monday and by Friday my new goodies were on my doorstep. Gotta love the instant gratification!

Without further adieu, here are my new recipes binders!

IMG_5513

I am in love. They are 2-inch binders in a pale gray color with a quatrefoil/Moroccan tile pattern. Because I was ordering so many and knew they would have a presence on a shelf or counter, I wanted them to be neutral.

IMG_5556

I asked Sarah to work from one of her current designs, but add a 'tag' to the front and spine with custom text. I think they turned out pretty great!

IMG_5517

I ordered 10 binders - Yes, 10. I'm cra-zay. Here are the categories I ordered:

Appetizers & Drinks
Salads & Soups
Main Dishes - Volume I
Main Dishes - Volume II
Main Dishes - Volume III
Side Dishes
Bread & Breakfast
Desserts
This & That - for miscellaneous tips, sauces, jams, food gifts, holidays, etc.
Favorites - for all of my printer-friendly recipes from this blog

IMG_5526

Organization like this makes me happy.

IMG_5536

IMG_5537

IMG_5539

Inside each binder, I organized the categories further with page protector/dividers from Office Depot. I researched divider tabs quite a bit, too, and was disappointed in what I found. I wanted the whole binder to be consistent and these page protector/divider combos proved to be the best way to customize the divider myself. I also like that behind the divider cover I could store other small clippings at the start of that section. Sarah was also kind enough to provide me with the .psd for the cover 'tag' as well as what fonts and color she used. I dropped those things into Word and made my own divider artwork.

IMG_5553

The tabs also came with printable labels that I customized in a consistent font, too.

If you're curious and plan to do something like this for yourself, here is a link to a document I created that lists all of the binders and the sub-sections in each. I made a category for pretty much everything!!

IMG_5546

Filling the binder was easy as I already had the majority of my recipes in page protectors from my prior system. I did do a little shuffling around to make it extra organized.

For example, in the 'hot appetizers' section I grouped dips together, things baked in pastry/crescents (like the above), etc.

IMG_5548

Some of the page protectors are maxed out with small clippings. In the cocktail section, I grouped things by sangrias, margaritas, fruit-based cocktails, lemonades, teas, punches, etc. I am hoping this really detailed system will make it super easy to add new clippings from magazines or new print-outs from blogs and websites. Everything has a place...

IMG_5554

In my Desserts binder (which happens to be the most full binder already), I have a spread with 3 various lemon bar recipes. One day, I need to make all 3 and do a taste test. In the meantime, I love the options! :)

IMG_5559

One thing I love doing is making notes on recipes when I try them. I always write what we thought, when we made it and any modifications I made. If I make it when entertaining, I usually jot down who I made it for.
This is something my mom has always done and it makes it so personal, and so much easier. There's simply no way you can remember it all!


IMG_5497


10 new binders in the kitchen certainly caused some re-arranging, but I made it work. I used a corner of the counter to position them in a curve. I don't have a lot of storage space for things like this, so the counter is the only spot. I did joke to Keith that soon I'll need a bigger kitchen with a bookshelf...one thing at a time! :)

I hope you enjoyed this and will consider ordering something like this, too! You could also order just one binder and it would make a perfect gift for a newlywed, mother, grandmother or friend. The quality is great and they are nice and durable.
You may remember other designs that my friend Michelle designed for me - they were also perfect for gifts!

Thanks for stopping by!

Linking this up to i heart organizing


8 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Shari said...

This is too funny you posted this because I have been thinking of doing something similar forever. I always tear out magazine pages, and print out recipes I like and it's just gotten out of control. I may have to look into the custom binder thing. Thanks for sharing! :)

Sarah said...

I love these!! Organizing my recipe binder has been on my 'to do' list forever! I am determined to finish it in the next couple of weeks!

Colleen Sullivan said...

I love it! Being that organized is such a great feeling, and having it look so pretty too is a plus!!

Laura said...

Love the binders. That is such a great idea and an amazing way to pass them on to other generations.

Apron Girl said...

I love that the binders fit into the corner so perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic idea! My Mom is putting together a cookbook of favorite family recipes with stories and photos. I'm currently looking for a binder to house the more than 250 pages of this yummy collection. I'll check out Zazzle.com.

Jenny said...

I've also felt the need to get my huge try-these-one-day recipe folder under control. I bought a set of pretty striped file folders at the dollar store and labelled each one (similar to your categories), then I put each cut or printed out recipe in the corresponding folder. When I'm looking for a new recipe to try I look through the folder I need. Once I've made the recipe and it's one I would want to make again I put it in my recipe binder which has sleeves and divider tabs with the same categories as the file folders. That way my binder only has recipes I've already made and like. As the number of recipes grows I can easily divide them between 2 or more binders as the need arises. I love my new system!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)