Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

White Chocolate Cranberry Creme Brûlée

Oh my. This dessert. It changed my life.

Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic. But, it's stupid good. And incredibly easy. Why haven't I made creme brûlée before? It's not hard at all. It simply required a bit of prep in the morning before dinner that night as it has to chill 8 hours. I used the broiler to crisp the tops, but now I have a torch on my wish list! The recipe comes from Southern Living and is perfect for the holidays. I hosted Christmas Eve dinner this year, and we had this amazing dessert to top it all off. Minds were blown. Dishes were actually licked clean.

Make this.


Creme brûlée
{these were such hot commodities, I only had time for an iPhone pic!}

White Chocolate Cranberry Creme Brûlée
Click here for printer-friendly version

Ingredients
2 cups whipping cream
4 ounces white chocolate (I used a bar of Ghirardelli)
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar, divided
1/2 of a 14 oz can of whole berry cranberry sauce
Ice cubes
Sugared cranberries and mint (recipe below)

1. Combine 1/2 cup cream and white chocolate in a heavy saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and remaining 1 1/2 cups cream.

2. Whisk together egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until sugar is dissolved and mixture is thick. Add cream mixture, whisking until well blended. Pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl.

3. Spoon 1 1/2 Tbsp. cranberry sauce into each of 6 (4-oz.) ramekins. Using a spatula, spread sauce around bottom of ramekin. Pour cream-and-egg mixture evenly into ramekins; place ramekins in a large roasting pan. Add water to pan to depth of 1/2 inch.

4. Bake at 300° for 45 to 55 minutes or until edges are set. Cool custards in pan on a wire rack 25 minutes. Remove ramekins from water bath; cover with plastic wrap and chill 8 hours.

5. Sprinkle 1 1/2 to 2 tsp. remaining sugar evenly over each ramekin. Fill a large roasting pan or 15- x 10- x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with ice; arrange ramekins in pan over ice.

6. Broil 5 inches from heat 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar is melted and caramelized, or use kitchen torch. Let stand 5 minutes. Garnish, if desired.

Untitled

Sugared Cranberries
*this makes plenty so you'll have extras for snacking*
1 cup cranberries
1/2 cup good maple syrup
1/2 cup sugar

Rinse cranberries and place in a medium bowl. Heat syrup in a small saucepan just until warm. Pour over cranberries when syrup is warm, not hot, or cranberries may pop. Cool, cover, and let soak in the refrigerator overnight.
Drain cranberries in a colander. Place sugar in a large bowl or baking dish. Add cranberries in 2 batches and roll around until lightly coated in sugar. Place on a baking sheet until dry, about 1 hour. Note: try to drain the cranberries as best you can. The excess maple syrup can get your cranberries too loaded down with sugar, so I had to use a fork to get my cranberries out of the sugar without too much excess.

Untitled

Sugared Mint
1 tbsp light corn syrup
Handful mint leaves
sugar

Using a small, clean paint brush, brush syrup on tops of mint leaves and coat with sugar. Let sit 5 minutes and top with more sugar. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes. Shake off excess.

3 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Elizabeth Ann @ Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box said...

Oh I LOVE Creme Brulee! :-) And I think that I NEED a kitchen torch! :-) This looks like the perfect recipe! :-)

Kendall Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kendall Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)