Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

The post where I boast about my husband!

Keith Jones. My husband.

33420_1481620956976_1127371694_31449922_346322_n

He's pretty freakin' awesome.
And, people tell me that on a daily basis.
I feel pretty special to be his wife.

IMG_3708
(caught studying)

He is an amazing person, and I'm not just biased. People are attracted to him, and adore him. He's personable, genuine and is an excellent listener. He prides himself on finding a connection with every person he meets. And, he always seems to know someone everywhere he goes. Lots of people joke that he's like a politician...in the very best sense though, of course.

photo
(an awards ceremony recently where Keith won 2 scholarships!)

He also works hard. I have been so proud of my dental student! Not only is he a great student, a machine in the clinic, and a leader among his peers, but he is genuinely liked by everyone. His patients adore him, especially the older ladies. He's sweet, patient and honest. What you see is what you get. And, others have taken notice.

photo2
(more studying)

I don't make many updates about Keith on the blog, but I know lots of his friends read (and our family), so it's long overdue for me to give him a little bit of the spotlight here! I'm proud to say that Keith was recently selected to be a featured student in the University of Tennessee Health Science publication, The Record.  This was the first time a dental student had been featured in about 10 years in this magazine! The magazine covers other university programs, topics and specialties like physical therapy, pharmacy, medical, nursing, occupational therapy, etc. so it was exciting for the dental school to have a student featured.

Keith didn't make a big deal about this. He never would. But, I think it's pretty great. A little bit of recognition goes a really long way. He deserves it!  The whole school loves him, after all.

Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 10.07.36 PM
(the magazine masthead)


Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 10.07.13 PM
(the top of the page - it was almost a whole page feature!)

Below is the full enchilada article. The editor that wrote it did a pretty good job, but those of us that know Keith know that words are hard to use to describe him - you just have to be around him! He's magnetic, in an unassuming, unpretentious way. Here's the (long) article:

At the age of 16, Keith Jones did not have a clear plan for life. But, after working as a farm tractor driver for his first job, he knew that was not his life’s calling. The only thing left to do was to excel academically. 

“I had to do something different,” said Jones. As fate (and lack of transportation) would have it, Jones carpooled to high school with his friend, whose dad was an established pediatric orthodontist. He soon began working in the orthodontist’s office, igniting Jones’ interest and passion for the field of dentistry. These days, Keith Jones is in his fourth year as a Dentistry student at UTHSC. 

“There’s nothing like a smile,” said Jones. “It can make or break someone’s day. The fact that you can set your own schedule doesn’t hurt either.” 

After graduating high school, Jones went on to attend the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville (UAF) where he received his degree in biology, becoming the first person in his family to graduate college. At UAF, he was a recipient of the University of Arkansas Chancellor’s Scholarship and a member of the Chancellor’s List during his college years. In addition to getting good grades, Jones also devoted time to community service projects. He founded the University of Arkansas Chapter of the White Ribbon Organization, a national men’s group striving to educate people on ending violence against women. 

One cause especially close to Jones is organ donation. While attending college, Jones’ fraternity brother was killed in a tragic accident. As the philanthropy chair of his fraternity, he reached out to the Arkansas Regional Organ Recovery Agency (ARORA) in a collaborative effort to encourage organ donation, especially since his late fraternity brother was a donor. The fraternity raised more than $3,000 and signed up more than 70 organ donors. Jones would work in the realm of organ donation again when his wife Kendall lost her brother Kyle — also an organ donor — in a car accident. Jones worked with her family and ARORA to start the Kyle Bollen ARORA Golf Tournament to raise money for organ donation. In fact, he still wears a “Klick it for Kyle” bracelet in Kyle’s memory. 

Upon arriving at UTHSC, Jones quickly emerged as a leader. He became class president, a position he has excelled in during all four years of his dental education. In his sophomore year, he helped all of the dental students by finding an outside contractor and securing a deal to provide dental kits at a discount. Thus, a kit that was once $8,000 is now available for $5,500. The ability to save money on necessary supplies for health care training continues today, helping students to focus on their work and worry less about finances. 

Jones’ involvement at UTHSC does not only consist of his class presidency. He also serves as a dental ambassador — giving tours of the College of Dentistry to prospective students — as well as being the new member chair for the American Student Dental Association. 

He has been a recipient of the Dr. Winfield C. Dunn Scholarship and the Pierre Fauchard Academy Scholarship. Additionally, Jones is a member of the IMHOTEP Society for leadership and has served as a student representative at the MidSouth Dental Congress speaking to both Golden Grads and the University of Tennessee Dental School Board of Trustees. 

Although not one to talk much, Jones certainly does not mind sharing his thoughts on the College of Dentistry and its environment. 

“We are like one big happy family over there. When I walk in the building, I know everyone’s name from the dean to the lady who empties the trash can,” said Jones. “It feels like you have the chance to connect with people on a personal basis, as well as gain a vast amount of knowledge about the career of dentistry.”

For aspiring dental students, Jones offers sound advice. “First and foremost, make sure that this is
the field you want to pursue,” he said. “If you know for sure, then go for it.” He also urges prospective dentists to find a mentor and intern in his or her office, so that they can have as much rea life experience as possible. 

Janet Harrison, DDS, chair of Restorative Dentistry and one of Jones’ advisors on the Honor Council deems him “one of the most effective and compassionate student leaders that she has had the pleasure of working with in her 30 years of involvement in dental education.” 

“Working with Keith, I’ve found out that his class, his peers, had the utmost respect and appreciation for him as a class leader,” shared Dr. Harrison. “In all my years of teaching, I had not seen such a level of peer respect. Keith is a natural leader, who has a gentle and caring nature with students, faculty, staff and patients. I am sure that he will continue to be a great leader in dentistry.”

Although Jones in set to graduate in May, he has yet to decide whether to pursue pediatric dentistry or a specialty. Regardless of which path he chooses, it is clear that he is actively working towards making his aspirations a definite reality.

(more working)

Keith Jones, I am so proud to be your wife! You are a great example to me of what true leadership looks like and how to maintain focus on the things that are most important. I have the utmost confidence in you and your future career in dentistry. I can't wait to see what else God has in store for us! I also can't wait for you to graduate and make some $$.  Hah! I'm kidding, but I know we're both excited. Congrats on being in the home stretch!!

photo3
P.S. Thanks for looking out for my teeth at home!
Nothing says romance like a scaling after dinner.

Oh, and in case you were wondering about our post-graduation plans, we're staying right here in Memphis for the time being. Keith has a great job lined up and I already love what I do (even though it makes me occasionally nutty). We have a great life, a happy home and so much to be thankful for. So, until God puts it on our hearts, we're staying put.

Thank you to all our friends (and strangers) that have rooted for Keith and me!
 

11 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Shari said...

Such a sweet post. Congrats to your hubby. :)

Melissa said...

You are one proud wifey :) You guys are so sweet. He seems like a terrific guy! Congrats Keith!

According to Jax said...

You two are so adorable! Congrats to Keith!! And I'm loving the last picture...hahaha.

Colleen Sullivan said...

How sweet :) You have so many reasons to be proud of him!

Michele said...

Wow! That is a big deal for Keith to be recognized like that. It really speaks a lot to his character. You are both so lucky to have each other!

annecase said...

Happy for you both that the end is in sight! Now, I think it's surely about time for some baby Joneses! :)

Laura said...

Congratulations to your hubby and to you for supporting his effort.

Katy said...

Awe this is so sweet Kendall! What an awesome pair/power couple the two of you make!!! It makes me happy to read this!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your sweet hubby!! What an honor :)

Miss V said...

This is too sweet. You are a lucky lady with your wonderful Mr. Jones. Congrats to him and all of his achievements!

david said...

Online accelerated degrees are the quickest and easiest path to a new future. There are some fast track programs now available at online universities that give you the opportunity to get that college degree in 24 months. For further information visit good website for the details.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)