Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Chicken, Apple and Smoked Gouda Salad

Folks, you should make this. Trust me.

IMG_0587

I was speculative at first because of the random mix of ingredients, but, it blew me away! Southern Living, once again, provides a delicious recipe!

The recipe on their website is for a large amount, but I was fixing it for just the two of us. So, I'm listing it below the way that I followed it. I added as much or as little of each item to our plates as I thought we might want.

Chicken, Apple and Smoked Gouda Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing

Ingredients:
1 Gala apple
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Baby spinach and spring greens mixture
shredded cooked chicken (I bought a rotisserie and used less than half)
1/4 of a red onion, sliced
Smoked Gouda cheese, grated
1-2 stalks thinly sliced celery
Sweetened dried cranberries
pecans
salt

Honey Mustard Dressing
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (I didn't have fresh, so I did a little over a Tbsp of dried)
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp ground red pepper

Preheat oven to 350

Whisk together the dressing ingredients and refrigerate until ready.

Spread pecans on a baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt. Place in oven while you prepare the salad.

Cut apple into slices and toss with lemon juice.

Assemble salad with greens, red onion, cranberries, celery, shredded Gouda cheese, and shredded chicken. When the pecans smell fragrant, take them out of the oven. Top the salad with the apple slices, pecans and dressing.

IMG_0593

This salad is seriously amazing. I could not stop eating it. In fact, I ate it way too fast. I huffed it.

The honey mustard dressing is fantastic and I know I'll make it again and again. 

I'm linking up to Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green. Enjoy!

Credit: Southern Living August 2010

8 responses. Leave a Comment!:

KatiePerk said...

This looks so good. I can't wait to try this and I love crunchy apples in salads!

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Kendall - This salad sounds fantastic! I have gouda in my fridge right now. Can't believe how good that dressing sounds too!

Mamahollioni said...

I have this bookmarked to try next week...it looks and sounds delicious. New follower from the Tasty Tuesday blog hop.

Julie said...

I'm definitely on the lookout for fantastic salad recipes these days. I haven't had smoked gouda in ages, but I'm giving this a try soon. Thanks for sharing.

Diana said...

can't wait! Tonight we are making your Chicken salsa salad!

annecase said...

Oh, can't wait to try it! Maybe this weekend!

Anne Nowlin said...

Served this up Saturday at noon and it was a hit!!! Another regular for sure!

Anonymous said...

Loved it! Was so good, I have eaten 2 nights in a row for dinner. Thanks for all the great recipes!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)