Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Stir-Fry Beef and Peach Salad

Let's talk about aprons.

Do you wear one when you cook?
I do about half of the time....which makes no sense because I have no less than 12 of them and could do a complete kitchen-fashion-show calendar.

There's something so feminine, quaint and charming about tying on a added piece of cute fabric before getting your hands dirty in the kitchen. Especially when ruffles are involved.

I started collecting aprons before we even got married. I have a few adorable monogrammed aprons, and there is definitely a couples set with one reading "Woooo" and the other reading "Pig Sooiee," given to us as a wedding present. For our second anniversary, the traditional gift is cotton, and Keith gave me one that has Mrs Jones stitched on it. I love that apron.

Earlier this summer, along with my team at work, I assisted with the planning and execution of a large conference for one of our Hilton clients. The planning process was at least 9 months long and everyone put in a lot of hard work. On our first night at the event, our lead client contact had gift bags delivered for each of the 4 of us. We were all blown away as we opened them. She had taken the time to find out what we all loved to do outside of work and hand-picked items uniquely tailored to us. I was so moved by the gesture! One of the items in my bag of goodies was a beautiful apron.

Apron

She knew I loved to cook, but didn't know I collected aprons. Love it.
This little apron proudly hangs in my laundry room and reminds me of what a blessing it is to work with and for people that you enjoy being around. People that care about you. People you actually like spending time with after the meeting is over.

I came home the other day after work, tied on this lovely apron and made a fantastic salad picked from the pages of Country Living. I turned on my Sade greatest hits playlist (whom I love) and had a completely relaxing hour.

I really hope you'll give this recipe a try. It's quintessentially summer with the fresh peaches. It's different than your average salad. You'll love it. Even if you make it without an apron on :)




Stir-Fry Beef and Peach Salad  
Stir-Fry Beef and Peach Salad
click here for printer-friendly version

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef sirloin steak, cut against the grain into bite-size pieces
  • 3 tablespoons sugar                            
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce                            
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced                            
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper                            
  • ¼ cup (about 2 limes) fresh lime juice                            
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar                            
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce                            
  • 2 tablespoons light soy sauce                            
  • ½ jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, diced
  • ¼ cup canola oil                            
  • 4 (about 1 1/3 pounds) firm but ripe peaches, peeled, halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices                            
  • 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced and separated into slivers
  • 1 cup combined fresh basil and mint leaves, torn                        
  • 6 cups organic mixed baby greens

In a large bowl, toss steak with 1 tablespoon sugar, oyster sauce, garlic, and pepper to coat. Let marinate for 20 minutes.


Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine lime juice, vinegar, fish sauce, soy sauce, jalapeño, and remaining sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar. Set aside. (Store vinaigrette in refrigerator for up to 1 day.)


In a large wok or skillet over high heat, heat half of oil. Add half of steak to pan and stir-fry until nicely browned, 3 to 4 minutes; remove to plate. Add remaining oil and steak to pan and stir-fry as above. If you are using an electric stove, as opposed to gas, cook the steak in 3 batches, instead of 2, to maintain a high temperature in pan and minimize accumulation of juices. (If excess juice forms, remove steak and leave pan on burner for a short time to evaporate liquid.) 


Return reserved cooked steak to pan and turn off heat. Add peaches, onion, and basil and mint, and toss to combine.
Divide greens, then the steak mixture, among plates. Drizzle each salad with about 2 tablespoons of reserved vinaigrette.


Enjoy!!

 


0 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)