I've been meaning to post about the trip for over a month now, but I've wanted to share all the details and I knew this would take some time to craft. After sorting through 600 photos too, I think I'll have to break this trip down into several posts. Hopefully all of this detail will come in handy when you plan a trip to Napa! That's right, because if you haven't been yet, you'll be ready to go after you finish reading :)
Here goes travel day and Day 1!
We departed for our vacation on Sunday. This was mostly due to a wedding that Keith was in on Saturday, but little did we know that being in the San Fran/Napa area was perfect for weekdays. We hear the weekends are crazy busy, so this worked out in our favor.
After landing in San Fran, we hopped in our rental car convertible and headed to Napa. It's only about an hour to an hour and twenty minute drive. We crossed the iconic Golden Gate Bridge and soaked up the beautiful scenery. Even though I had seen it before, and knew we'd be back in two days to spend time in San Fran, I was still freaking out and taking a hundred pictures of the bridge!
We were visiting in early June, but it was much too chilly for top-down driving. Plus, when you put 4 people into a Sebring convertible with their luggage, the tiny trunk space is full and there's physically no way for the top to come down, regardless, so that worked out! :)
We drove straight into downtown Napa and headed to Gott's Roadside Diner, formerly known as Taylor's Automatic Refresher. I had read so much about this place!
It did not disappoint. In fact, it was one of our favorite meals of the trip. We had the Ahi Tuna Burger that they are known for and totally died over it. We talked about that burger for days! The sweet potato fries were also killer. I loved that they sold so many wines from neighboring vineyards, and in small bottle sizes, too. I enjoyed a lovely Sauvignon Blanc from Frog's Leap Vineyard.
Our travel companions, Ashley and Jaycob, also happened to be celebrating their one-year anniversary on the first day of our trip!
After checking in at the Embassy Suites in Napa, we celebrated the McMillan's first year of marriage with some champagne and a fruit and cheese plate, compliments of Embassy Suites. It sure does help when you know people in high places :)
I work in marketing and my clients are various brands within Hilton Worldwide, and most of my time is spent on Embassy Suites, so I'm totally partial, and there was no question we would stay here. But, biases aside, this was a fantastic hotel. It's recently been renovated so the rooms are super swank. Plus, the free complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast was a great start to a day full of drinking wine. You HAVE to charge up with a hearty breakfast in the Valley!
Here we are ready to start our first full day in Napa! Keith's eyes still weren't fully alert...
We enjoyed our breakfast each morning outside around the ponds. It was so beautiful and peaceful and we loved being able to have something different to eat each day.
And we're off! We hopped in our Chrysler...it's as big as a whale....and it's about to set sail...
(sorry, couldn't help but channel the B-52s).
Speaking of music, Ashley masterfully created a Napa playlist perfect for the occasion. It was the icing on the cake.

The weather was warmer in Napa so we were delighted we had the convertible. We were so excited to be off of work and cruising around a gorgeous locale... before even stepping foot in any vineyards.

Our first stop:
HENDRY
In hindsight, Hendry was the BEST possible place to begin our tasting adventure. I had been told that Hendry was good for a beginner's education, but it was much better than good. I would strongly recommend that anyone that is new to wine tasting and vineyards start their trip at Hendry. It will make all of the places you visit afterwards make so much more sense. Without the 101 run down, I can see how you might glaze over at the terms and descriptions at most places.

It was secluded and very much off-the-beaten path. In fact, we totally missed it and had to turn around.

We had the 10 a.m. tour and our visit there lasted 2.5 hours (the longest of any vineyard on our trip). But, it was the most educational tour and tasting combo, so it was worth it. It was $40 a person.
George Hendry himself toured us around (pictured above) and led our tasting. We knew he had to be a pretty big deal based on how much experience he had as he described the process. It was only later in our trip that we realized how big of a deal he is. The dude is legendary in the valley. He was passionate about wine in a very scientific way, so I found him to be fascinating and endearing.

The boys loved it.

There was also an adorable vineyard dog, Honey, that followed us around. Vineyard dogs are the coolest dogs.

Our group had about 10 people total, but felt very intimate. Hendry is by appointment only, which eliminated anyone from popping in. After our very educational tour, we had a very serious, focused wine tasting. George said it would be intense and really make you think about wine differently. He was right.
He taught me things I simply did not know, and would not have known it we hadn't been there. It was awesome!! We learned about why certain wines need to be paired with some sort of fat (like olive oil) or the wine will not taste like it's intended. It made a total difference in taste. I was shocked! He taught us all about tannins and mouthfeel....things I was pretty clueless about before. After this experience, I was actually able to articulate why I like certain wines over others.
Hendry waves your tour and tasting fee with a purchase of equivalent value, so we happily stocked up.

Proof of purchase. I'm now obsessed with all things Hendry.
Nest stop - Lunch time
V SATTUI WINERY AND DELI

We stopped at V Sattui for lunch only as it is a winery with a great deli/grocery on site and lots of picnic tables on their grounds for eating. While there are gobs of great restaurants in the Valley, we stuck to cheaper, quicker deli-style lunches so that we had time for more vineyards.
Speaking of music, Ashley masterfully created a Napa playlist perfect for the occasion. It was the icing on the cake.
The weather was warmer in Napa so we were delighted we had the convertible. We were so excited to be off of work and cruising around a gorgeous locale... before even stepping foot in any vineyards.
Our first stop:
HENDRY
In hindsight, Hendry was the BEST possible place to begin our tasting adventure. I had been told that Hendry was good for a beginner's education, but it was much better than good. I would strongly recommend that anyone that is new to wine tasting and vineyards start their trip at Hendry. It will make all of the places you visit afterwards make so much more sense. Without the 101 run down, I can see how you might glaze over at the terms and descriptions at most places.
It was secluded and very much off-the-beaten path. In fact, we totally missed it and had to turn around.
We had the 10 a.m. tour and our visit there lasted 2.5 hours (the longest of any vineyard on our trip). But, it was the most educational tour and tasting combo, so it was worth it. It was $40 a person.
George Hendry himself toured us around (pictured above) and led our tasting. We knew he had to be a pretty big deal based on how much experience he had as he described the process. It was only later in our trip that we realized how big of a deal he is. The dude is legendary in the valley. He was passionate about wine in a very scientific way, so I found him to be fascinating and endearing.
The boys loved it.
There was also an adorable vineyard dog, Honey, that followed us around. Vineyard dogs are the coolest dogs.
Our group had about 10 people total, but felt very intimate. Hendry is by appointment only, which eliminated anyone from popping in. After our very educational tour, we had a very serious, focused wine tasting. George said it would be intense and really make you think about wine differently. He was right.
He taught me things I simply did not know, and would not have known it we hadn't been there. It was awesome!! We learned about why certain wines need to be paired with some sort of fat (like olive oil) or the wine will not taste like it's intended. It made a total difference in taste. I was shocked! He taught us all about tannins and mouthfeel....things I was pretty clueless about before. After this experience, I was actually able to articulate why I like certain wines over others.
Hendry waves your tour and tasting fee with a purchase of equivalent value, so we happily stocked up.
Proof of purchase. I'm now obsessed with all things Hendry.
Nest stop - Lunch time
V SATTUI WINERY AND DELI
We stopped at V Sattui for lunch only as it is a winery with a great deli/grocery on site and lots of picnic tables on their grounds for eating. While there are gobs of great restaurants in the Valley, we stuck to cheaper, quicker deli-style lunches so that we had time for more vineyards.
The weather was perfect, so setting up a picnic here was lovely. I will say that the deli was packed and a bit crazy, and I would never come here for a wine tasting. The tasting room is essentially in the grocery store and it's a madhouse.
After lunch, we strolled the grounds and found a few great photo op spots.
The whole vibe in Napa is relaxing. I LOVED it.
Being incredibly silly.
V Sattui did have a lovely cellar that we checked out.
Next stop:
Because Keith was our driver, and not keen on drinking much anyway, we usually paid for one tasting and he tried a sip or two of everything I had. The vineyards don't mind this at all.
Also, I was worried about how much drinking I'd be doing, and feared that I would be sloppy wine drunk by 2:00 and not enjoy the trip. I drink a few glasses at a time at home, but I do not do well with all day drinking. Fortunately, this did not prove to be a problem at all. You pour out a good bit of wine throughout the tastings. Some you just aren't wild about, and other times, the next wine is ready to be poured before you could finish any way. Plus, you eat and take your time, and drink water! Don't forget to do that.
We had completely personal attention by Rachel, I think that was her name, it's been too long, (pictured below), and she was really laid back and fun to be around. We asked her tons of questions (armed with our new knowledge from Hendry), that we probably would not have asked in a lot of stuffy, formal environments. We sat on the patio, drank great wines and just chatted about all kinds of things. Plus, they had great music playing.
In our time at Miner, we only saw 2 other groups, so it was wonderful to feel like you had it to yourself. I've read the reviews on Yelp and it sounds like this place is busy on the weekends (like most), so I think we were there at such a perfect time. We were spoiled!
As you enter, there is a huge, larger-than-life dining table. Special events and tastings are held here. Can you imagine having a birthday dinner in a wine cave? Sign me up.
Fun fact: Elton John played on top of this table for an event at Miner. Mind = blown.
Being in the caves was so cool. Literally. It's a little damp and chilly, but was so neat to experience.
Barrels on barrels on barrels.
We got to taste straight from the barrel. Awesome.
My Napa loving man.
Yep, I was this relaxed at Miner. I'm sure this is mid-Instagram update.
The McMillans agree - Miner is a must-visit.
Jaycob checks out a few vintages.
We did buy our most expensive bottle here - the 2008 Oracle. That's the year we married, so we plan to save this until our 10th anniversary!
Last stop:
This is one of the few places open 'til 6, everything else closes at 5. We wanted to go to St Supery, but had so much fun at Miner that we didn't want to rush out. So, Peju was a convenient last stop.
It's right off the main highway, so it's very stately and pretty to pull up to.
There's tons of sculptures and art here, so that was neat.
Overall, this was our least favorite winery of the trip. All of that private, personal attention we had was not here. But, that's not really what they are set up for. It's a tasting room with various tasting bars set up, each with a bartender/wine expert. You stand around with 6-8 others and go through the tasting pretty quickly. The wines were good, I bought a couple, and our hostess was nice. But, we just weren't excited when we left.
On Yelp, I had read about a rapping bartender, an older gentleman, and he was there but with another group. He seemed quite entertaining, so we may have loved it had that been our experience. Who knows. Either way, "meh" is the best word for Peju, in my book.
But, we didn't end the day on that note. We had some time to kill before dinner, so we cruised around the little towns a bit. Keith spotted a dirt road that ran between the vineyards, so we drove down, pulled to the side and relaxed in gorgeous wine country. It was the perfect spot for some photos!
Self timer success!
Cuties!
No one was around, and we have no idea whose grapes these were. But, we loved every second we spent in this hiding spot. We all imagined we owned this land and it was just another day in the life.
Ashley looks like she needs a convertible.
On to dinner, at the wonderful....
MUSTARD'S GRILL

This place was the most frequently recommended to me. It was fantastic. Absolutely delish.
This place was the most frequently recommended to me. It was fantastic. Absolutely delish.
I think it's safe to say that Mustard's is a must-do when in the Valley. I know I'll be back.
So, that wraps up Day 1! I have so much more to share, so I'll get to work on the rest.
Ready to plan a trip yet? :)
Update: Click here for Part II! And, click here for Napa Planning tips!
Update: Click here for Part II! And, click here for Napa Planning tips!







4 responses. Leave a Comment!:
I'm so glad you're sharing all the details on your trip! We love Napa, and I can't believe it has been almost a year since we've been -- and we're so close. I have the same feelings about V. Sattui. The picnic grounds are nice, since there really isn't a lot of other places where you can do that in Napa while wine tasting, but the deli is insanely busy and the tasting room is awful. Your pictures are beautiful and it looked like everyone had such a great time! Oh, and we stayed at the Embassy Suites up there for my bachelorette party and it was fantastic! We especially loved the cocktail hour and ponds!
I haven't been to Napa yet in life but after this post I can't wait to go! Please post day 2!
This is a fabulous post. My husband and I are planning a trip to Napa in the Fall and I am in the midst of researching and collecting ideas. Your post is very inspiring and has us excited to travel there from the East Coast.
Sounds like you both had an awesome trip and similar to ones my hubby and I have done out that way. My only recommendation for next time is to try "The Castle" (real name Castillo de Amorosa). A beautiful castle on beautiful grounds. Take the tour and end up in the underground cave tasting some of the most amazing wines Napa has to offer :)
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!
I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)