Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits

Happy Sunday, folks! Last week, we did a great job of cooking at home every night and didn't get a single take-out meal. That is an accomplishment! Even though I like to cook, I definitely don't do it every night. What made it easy to do this time were the very quick, simple meals that I chose when planning our menu. I stuck to things with only a few ingredients and that came together within 20 minutes. Even the best laid plans for a week of cooking can easily change after a long day at work. Who wants to spend 40 minutes to an hour cooking when you're not even starting until 8:00? Not this working gal!

I think I have avoided 'simple' recipes in the past because I like a challenge in the kitchen and felt like the quick stuff wasn't going to be as good, or 'blog-worthy'. But, that's just nuts. Simple is good, and just as tasty! So, I have about 4 new recipes to share as a result of my new-found approach to fast cooking. Here's the first one! It's a Food Network recipe that is also low in calories; I made a few slight adjustments. It was so good! Keith LOVED it.

IMG_3791

Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits
click here for printer-friendly version

Ingredients:
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 pounds raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
2 large cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Juice of one lemon, plus wedges for serving (optional)
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley

IMG_3788

Bring 3 cups chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, covered. Uncover and slowly whisk in the grits, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. 

Stir in the Parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, garlic and cayenne, and cook, tossing, until the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes.

Remove from the heat and add 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice and parsley; stir to coat the shrimp with the sauce and season with salt and pepper.

Divide the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce. Serve with lemon wedges.


Enjoy!

4 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!! It looks so good, I gotta add this to my fall cooking list!

Shari said...

I definitely will be making this in the very near future! Looks SO tasty. And, I love simple recipes. They are totally blogworthy! :)

annecase said...

Yum! This looks great! Can't wait to try it. You know I ONLY do quick and easy! Ha!

Kathy said...

I garnished mine with green onions! The different flavors totally compliment each other! Amazing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)