Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Grilled Portobello-Goat Cheese Pitas

Getting Keith to eat a meatless meal is like trying to sell honey to a honey bee. It ain't an easy sell.
The man is conditioned to eat meat. He often asks me why a perfectly good vegetarian recipe couldn't have a little chicken added to it. When I look for recipes, I don't evaluate them based on whether or not they have meat, I just drool over the ingredients list and don't even think about it. Well, I've learned to be very sneaky and persuasive about any vegetarian meals in this house. I choose wisely and usually just make the dish without a warning. Nine times out of ten, he tastes it and loves it....and heats up a chicken breast later.

This recipe, however, was a favorite. Maybe it's because he was starving after moving the lawn on a hot day, or he was too lazy to hunt for chicken, beef or fish in the fridge afterwards, but this was enough for Dr. Jones on a recent evening! I loved it, too. Thanks again, Cooking Light!

Warning - this is messy to eat, but so yummy!


IMG_2993

Grilled Portobello-Goat Cheese Pitas

Ingredients:
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
4 (6-inch) pita rounds
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp black pepper, divided
1 (6-ounce) package of Portobello mushrooms
2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
1/3 cup (3-ounces) goat cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil 

Preheat a grill pan over medium heat.

Combine garlic and oil; brush evenly over pitas. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper evenly over pitas. Place pitas in pan, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until toasted.

Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper evenly over mushrooms and tomatoes. Place mushrooms in pan; cook 6 minutes or until tender, turning once. Remove mushrooms from pan. Add tomatoes to pan; cook 1 minute.

Spread goat cheese evenly over pitas. Arrange the mushrooms and tomatoes evenly over pitas. Sprinkle with chopped basil.


Enjoy!! 

PS - I'm linking this up to Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green - click on over to check out other yummy recipes!



2 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Shari said...

This looks great! I have to say my Midwestern guy used to be the same way about his meat, but once you get them used to a few meatless meals here and there try, they stop their complaining. It really can work, and now we both look forward to Meatless Mondays. :) I seriously never thought I'd be saying that..

Jen said...

Looks delicious!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)