Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Fresh Apple Butterscotch Cake, Perfect for Fall!

My sweet friend, Joanna Lynch, is staying a few nights this week with Keith and I. She is in Memphis for work. She's stayed with us once before and I just love having her here. It works out perfectly to get to spend some quality time together. Tonight, she got here just as I was starting to bake a delicious fall cake. My mom first made this recipe over 5 years ago when I went off to college. My roommate, Whitney, and I ate the whole thing! So, I wanted to make it for Joanna and I to share . Now that Jo & Whit live together, I'll be sure to send some home with her :)

We were able to use (for the first time) an awesome wedding gift I received. Actually, no one got this for me, but I wanted it so bad that I bought it with a Williams-Sonoma gift card someone gave us. Anyway, it's an Apple Peeler-Corer-Slicer contraption that is amazing. I never knew it would be so much fun to use! It's a brilliant device. Before we knew it, we had 4 apples cranked out and ready to go in the cake. As you can see, kitchen devices are a simple pleasure for me. You have to try it for yourself, really. No, it's cool. I promise. Ok, maybe I'm a total looser....whatever.
Either way, it was a lot of fun spending time in the kitchen with Joanna tonight and I hope she knows how much I love her!!
So, here's the recipe since I know you're dying for it...

Fresh Apple Butterscotch Cake
click here for printer-friendly version

1 cup cooking oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
3 cups diced baking apples
1 cup chopped pecans
1 6 oz. package butterscotch chips

Mix oil & sugar. Add eggs & vanilla. Beat well. Add all dry ingredients. Batter will be very stiff. Add apples & nuts. Pour into 9x13 inch greased and floured cake pan. Sprinkle butterscotch on top of batter. Bake 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve hot or warm. Add whipped cream topping (optional).

1 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Anonymous said...

Aw I love you too Ken! I had so much fun working in the kitchen with you and the cake is so good!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)