Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Gross Anatomy 101

So, Keith started back to school yesterday and began the spring semester. Supposedly, this one is going to be tough thanks to the introduction of Gross Anatomy....let me define for you:

gross anatomy, noun: the study of the structure of the body and its parts without the use of a microscope

Which means he studies the human bod via a cadaver....

cadaver [kah-dav-er], noun: a dead body, esp. a human body to be dissected; corpse.

Delightful, right!? I know. He'll be learning about every single part of the body, not just the mouth or teeth or head. It's pretty awesome, I guess.
So, yesterday was "cadaver day" where they meet their human body and 'dissect' for the first time. Then, this body is their's all semester, in the same room, on the same table, every day for 5 months. There are 4 students per 'specimen'. It also smells awful in this room because of the formaldehyde...

formaldehyde [fawr-mal-duh-hahyd], noun: a colorless, toxic, potentially carcinogenic, water-soluble gas, CH20, having a suffocating odor......

Catch that? Suffocating odor? yay! So, another thing this dental school does is provide another set of scrubs for the students to change into before lab time. So thoughtful!! Thank goodness, cuz from what I hear it might as well be as strong as a skunk in there. Keith said it made his eyes burn...

So, yesterday, he goes to the class and said everything went fine, nobody passed out or vomited...

vomit, verb: no just kidding!

Anyway, so he changed clothes afterwards and came home. Later that night, he asked me if he stunk. I smelled his shirt, nope- you're good. Sniffed around a little- and low and behold, his hair stunk!!! Groooosssss! So, he jumped in the shower to rid himself of the stinch.

Oh and last night, I also noticed a peculiar wooden box in the backseat of this car. "What's that, sweetie?" ....."Bones." ......"What!? Whose bones?"........"A human's....."
Great! So glad I didn't open it!!

Should be an interesting semester!!

2 responses. Leave a Comment!:

mcw2011 said...

Oh my goodness!! Keith carries around his bones!! Lol! I just died when I read the dialog between you two when the bones were discovered in the backseat! Haha! Tell Keith I said good luck with this semester, I'm sure he'll do just fine! And I miss you pretty lady!

Claire said...

not gonna lie... when I saw the title, I immediately thought this was a blog about Grey's Anatomy. Now, I feel dumb. Glad, you didn't open the wooden box. Has he named the cadaver? If it's a guy I choose Earl. If it's a girl, I choose Svetlana.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)