Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Skinny Tex-Mex Chicken Soup

Last week, on the first day of my Total Transformation fitness challenge, I came down with a nasty cold/sinus/bug thing. I was all excited and ready to begin my 6 weeks of clean eating and working out, but my body was wiped out. I had to stay home from work all day on Tuesday. And I don't know about you, but when I'm sick I really want a hot, broth-y soup. All of the sudden, my lunch of cooked chicken breast, nuts and grapes just wasn't exciting.  I checked all of my canned soups for anything pre-made, but the sodium was off the charts! So, I opted to make something from scratch. I'm so glad I did, because it was fantastic and served as a great meal for the next couple of days.

This recipe is based on one from Cooking Light, but I made a few adjustments based on what I had and did a few things to reduce the sodium. It's really quick and easy to make! Trust me, I made it while I was loaded up on several medications and dragging myself around the kitchen.


Tex-Mex Chicken Soup


Skinny Tex-Mex Chicken Soup
click here for printer-friendly version

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 
  • 1 cup chopped onion 
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
  • 2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
  • 4 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained (I used Kroger's Simple Truth Tri-Bean Medley)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella
  • 8 lime wedges

Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion, garlic and bell pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add chili powder and next 3 ingredients; sauté 30 seconds. Add chicken and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes. Top evenly with cilantro and cheese. Serve with lime.


Tex-Mex Chicken Soup with Rice

Later in the week when I was down to the last of my soup leftovers, I combined a little bit of the soup with some cooked rice and it was a very tasty Tex-Mex-style rice bowl. With a sliced avocado and part-skim mozzarella stick, it was a very satisfying light lunch!

1 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Lauren Phelps said...

Looks yummy! I love those bowls. I call them "chipotle bowls." The possibilities are endless. You can use anything you have on hand. Hope you feel better!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)