Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Fresh Green Bean Salad with Basil and Tomatoes

I'm so behind on my blogging! Sorry, guys! I haven't had time to squeeze it in during the day, and sometimes the last thing I want to do is be on my computer once I'm home. But, I still love y'all more than my mixer. 
And, I had a pretty great party last night that I can't wait to share all the deets on.

Here's a great recipe that I hope you'll make before the delicious tomatoes and green beans of summer go away. It's SO good! I could not stop eating the green beans. It was like they were french fries and I just couldn't resist reaching in the fast food bag one more time. But, no need to feel bad. These are beans, not fries, so stuff your face all you like!

Also, the dressing recipe is so good, you'll love it on just about anything.

Fresh Green Bean Salad with Basil and Tomatoes

Fresh Green Bean Salad with Basil and Tomatoes
Click here for printer-friendly version

Ingredients:
1 & 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp salt (4 tsp total)
5 firm ripe tomatoes
4 springs fresh basil

Garlic-Basil Dressing:
1 clove garlic
1 shallot
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup canola, corn or other vegetable oil
15 fresh basil leaves

Trim the stem ends of the green beans (you can leave the pointed tips). Halve the longer ones, if you like. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. While the water's heating, fill a large bowl with ice water (using at least a dozen cubes of ice). Once the water boils, add the beans and cook briefly: 1 or 2 minutes for tiny haricots, 4 or 5 for bigger beans. Don't walk away. Drain the beans quickly. Then shock them by dumping them in the ice water, agitating them briefly until they are quite cool (about a minute). 

Then drain again and set aside. They can be refrigerated in a tightly sealed plastic bag for several hours with no loss of color or texture. If you do refrigerate, first dry them extra-thoroughly on a dish towel.

In a blender or food processor, mince garlic and shallot. Add the vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard and sugar. Slowly drizzle in the oil. Add the basil leaves and coarsely chop with several on/off pulses.

When ready to serve, toss the green beans with 1/3 cup of the dressing in a large mixing bowl. Taste and add more dressing or salt as needed. Pile the beans high in the center of a large platter. Arrange the tomato slices overlapping around the edge. Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt, and drizzle 3 tablespoons of the dressing on top of them. Garnish with the basil sprigs. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!! 

Source: NPR of all places

0 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)