Hello! Welcome to Keeping Up with the Joneses. Thanks for stopping by! We're a young couple living in the East Arkansas/Memphis area otherwise known as The Delta, with a love for family, friends, faith and food.

We believe that some of the best memories are created at home around the dinner table, and when entertaining those you love. This little blog is where I share recipes, wine, our home and our life. Enjoy! -Kendall

What You'll Find:

I love to try new recipes. In fact, I rarely make the same thing twice. I'm a bona-fide cookbook collector, Pinterest addict and magazine aficionado. On the blog, you'll see what I've got cooking.

I love wine, y'all, so from time to time I feature bottles I've loved. Crafts and decorating our little house are passions of mine, so you may see some of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Thai Noodle Steak Salad

I once had a salad that changed my life. It blew my mind. It was so good that it forever changed my ability to order anything else from this particular restaurant's menu. Ever. I have dreams about this salad. I get giddy and excited when we decide to eat at this establishment because I know that paradise will soon be on my plate. I'm not exaggerating one bit. It's fantastic.

That salad is the Thai Noodle Steak Salad from Houston's, a chain steakhouse. If you have a Houston's nearby and have not tried this heavenly dish, drop everything and go. Now. You'll thank me later.

If not, or if you're like me and just can't get enough of this, then make a copycat version at home! I did some research and found several blogs and websites with copycat recipes. I made a hodge-podge of several of them and felt like it was pretty darn close. Of course, nothing will quite live up to the way it tastes when I'm sitting on my beloved Houston's patio on a warm day with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc. And, I'm certain they use a better quality of meat and grill it with expert levels of precision. But, eating this at the coffee table with my hubby while we watch the NBA playoffs is pretty good.


Untitled


Thai Noodle Steak Salad
click here for printer-friendly version

Marinade Ingredients:
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sherry
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 boneless rib-eye, strip or sirloin steak

Dressing Ingredients:
3 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon hot water
1½ teaspoons Sriracha
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/8 cup sesame oil
2 tablespoons of canola or peanut oil
1/8 cup peanut butter
Pinch of salt


Salad:
Around 6 ounces udon noodles (my package had 3 bundles of 3.1 oz noodles, and I used 2 bundles)
1 large handful of spinach leaves
1 large handful shredded cabbage

3 green onions, chopped
1 handful of cilantro

1 handful of fresh mint leaves
Throw in some basil, too, if you have it
1 small julienned carrot
1 diced mango

1 avocado, cubed
1/2 cucumber, chopped into large cubes
1 handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
A handful of crushed peanuts


Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and pour over steak in a plastic bag. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour in advance.

Meanwhile, mix dressing ingredients and set aside. I also used this time to chop all of the veggies for the salad and tossed into a large bowl, saving the avocado until the very end.

Grill steaks over medium-high heat for 4 minutes on each side for a nice sear, while remaining pink in the middle. Move to a cutting board and let sit while you prepare noodles.

Bring water to a boil for the noodles. Add and cook for 4 minutes, omitting salt. Drain and add to the salad.


Chop the avocado and the steak into large cubes and add to salad, along with the dressing. Toss to combine.

Enjoy!

5 responses. Leave a Comment!:

Robbie said...

PF Changs has one now too! So yummy! Since I can't handle the spicy dressing, I get them to give me the sesame dressing on the side.

emily said...

I am drooling!! Must try this soon!! Thanks!

Shari said...

This looks fantastic! Can't wait to try it. :)

Delta Daisies said...

I will definitely be making these! Thanks!

Connie Anderson said...

This is my absolute favorite salad, like you I dream about it! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I love to hear from readers and each message means a lot to me!

I respond to questions by email. If you leave a question in your comment, please make sure to list your email address or check your profile settings to ensure that it will be visible to me. I want to be able to write you back! :)